User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: [Request] Extension Pack

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: [Request] Extension Pack

Certainly, there should be some guidelines. For example, when an extension is updated and is incompatible with a previous version, it should be renamed. I still have a file with at least three extensions that have been revised without doing this. I have to remember which version of the extension that I used and reload the version of that extension when I work with that application.
    Steve

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've worked on something that easily lets you install/get extensions. It's called MMF2 Add-On Obtainer. I just released a new version today.

http://puchisoft.com/mmf2aohq/

It only works on extensions that are put into the MMF2AO format (there is a tool included in the software that lets you do this). So any author or whoever can put extensions into that format for the benefit of the community.
    The only restriction is if the author does not like you redistributing their extension in a different archive. So for Matt's extensions, for example, you are not allowed to change the .exe installers he likes to use into a zip or MMF2AO.
    But other than that, I think my MMF2 Add-On Obtainer is a pretty good solution. We just need some more people to release their extensions in MMF2AO format.

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's the same thing for me.
    I'm not agree with the redistribution of my extensions without my permission and in another format than the original exe installer...

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, I don't like extension packs for one reason... you have to wait for all the extensions in the pack to be finished first before the pack is released, where in individual releases, exentions are released alot faster.

I know someone mentioned it somewhere above, just throwing my opinion into the mix

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I don't like packs, it's because a lot of extensions are in different versions and a pack can install an older version than the original extension already released and a lot of problems can be caused with this kind of things.

For example if someone have a old version of an extension and try an example wich use the last version, a random crash will occur in MMF2 and in application.

If I don't like them too it's because individual developers don't have any kind of control over there own extensions and it's not correct !

So the only good packs are officials "Bonus packs".

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well you develop the Add On yourself and I am sure if you had a new version then Code6 would update the site and then you could ensure that people had the correct version. The entire reason that the program exists is so clickers can more easily stay up to date and manage their extensions.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think people are talking about a variety of different things here.

An "extension pack", as the original idea of this thread was, is something like the "Bonus Pack 1" from Clickteam. One installer that installs a bunch of extensions.
    This is what some people commented on as being bad, due to potentially overwriting new extensions with all ones. (As a side note, this is no longer an issue with AddOn Manger, as it checks that you have the newest version of extensions via their File Version, according to the currently loaded master database of extensions).

I think the idea of this thread was that a pack was requested, that basically combined all currently released extensions into one exe installer, which also potentially has the problem where newer versions are replaced by older ones, as well as being illegal for many of the released extensions, due to their license.

If you want a quick way to get all the extensions, use MMF2 AddOn Manager. It allows you to install many extensions (where license allows) at your own pace (quick or slow[for reading info]), if you want that.
    Others (where author's requested to not have their add-ons redistributed), if not already installed, it will inform you of, and allow you to download from the author's website manually.
    It also allows you to check if the extensions that you are using are current.
    This may all be at the mercy of the master list of extensions, but as I like to remind everyone: Anybody can maintain their own master list, so should I slack off, anybody else could easily pick up.
    Now that the Manager has been greatly improved, I think some people may wish to have their own maintained master list of extensions. It's semi-self-explanatory, but I will gladly write a tutorial on how to do it, if anybody is interested.

Hosting your own master list of extensions is useful for authors. For example, say I'm Andos, and I have a collection of extensions that I'm distributing from my site in MMF2AO format (Thank Andos for being a great example ).
    As the Puchisoft Master DB is only updated after Code6 is emailed about a new extension, I may wish to have my own master DB that I update as soon as I release a new extension.
    Why not just have a list on my site? Well, by having a clickable link to my MMF2AO DB on my site, people will be able to see the new extensions in their Manager, and download them from there (which will download them off my own authory website). The extensions being in the Manager is better than seeing them on the site, because the Manager tells you which version of the extension YOU have, and which version the Master DB has, and only lists the extensions which have a different version.
    So people can easily see which extensions they want to download from Ando's website (due to either not having them already, or just having an old version).
    Of course, Ando's Master DB would only need to include his own extensions, so he wouldn't have to worry about keeping the list up to date for others extensions, unless he wanted to.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2