Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New MMF2 Add-On Obtainer, Easily Obtain Extensions

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New MMF2 Add-On Obtainer, Easily Obtain Extensions

I released a new version of my MMF2 Add-On Obtainer.
    Download: http://puchisoft.com/mmf2aohq/software.html

I also went through the "Released Extensions" forum and added most of the extensions, where the license allowed for repackaging.

This program is useful, especially if you are installing MMF2 anew, after re-installing Windows, for example. You can very quickly and easily get the extensions (and other MMF2 Add-Ons) that you want, while still being in control of the process and getting all the information you need.
    The MMF2AO format is more secure and better compressed than most installers, thanks to LZMA compression technology (also known as 7zip).
    MMF2 Add-Ons are automatically installed into the proper places inside your MMF2 folder, but you also see exactly what files will be put where before choosing to install.

So here are two exciting new features for you today:
    -Anybody can publish a Database of add-ons/extensions. If you feel you can do a better job at keeping a list of add-ons, you can still use MMF2AddOn Obtainer. Just point it to your http hosted database file, and MMF2Add-On Obtainer will work just like it does with the default database, except it will populate the new/updated Add-On section from your database instead.
    -You can choose to "Install All" new/updated add-ons (1.02Beta and above).
    I don't recommend doing this, except in special cases (such as after reformatting your PC), where you already know all released add-ons, and have assured yourself that they contain no malicious files.
    Also, I find it nicer to always "View" the add-on's details (author, description, website, filename,...) before installing, so I know what I am getting. But if you already know the deal, this new feature allows you to quickly get back into the game (of coding) after a format.

I also fixed the bug where the AutoUpdater would annoy you and often tell you that new updates were out there. It it now much quieter.

I hope that my effort today to improve the program and update the Puchisoft Add-On Database will encourage more authors to pick up the MMF2AO format once again.
    I believe in the format for a simple reason: I actually use it. It's SO MUCH more convenient to be able to install things with one or two clicks than it is to have to manually extract files all over the place.

So I urge all of you to do some community service and create some MMF2AO files. If you are their author or not (but the license allows for such actions!), just use the MMF2 Add-On Maker (included), turn the extension into an MMF2AO package, and submit it to me.

Either PM me on this forum or e-mail me with a link to the MMF2AO, and I will add it to my database.

Alternatively, if you are feeling ambitious, you can now create and maintain your own database too, so feel free to go that route too.
    I am happy to answer any questions.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: New MMF2 Add-On Obtainer, Easily Obtain Extensions

While i aprecciate everything that is done to the MMF community i am a little bit in doubt if this is really useful.

I fear that the same will happen here as it happened to the previous version of Addon Obtainer before. At the beginning everybody was happy. Until the whole idea went down the drain by most of the extension developers denied to allow to include their extensions to the old Addon Obtainer.

Was in the end somehow wasted time to even use it. And leaded to an even more cluttered situation. For me it is easier to have a quick look into my folder with the downloaded extensions and compare it with the Extension list than trust the incomplete list of Addon Obtainer ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One feature which I think will really make this better is if MMF2AO Obtainer would check the Available Add-Ons against what files were already installed without Add-On Obtainer.

This would lead to two things:
    1) People who have installed extensions using other means won't have to install them again with Add-On Obtainer for it to recognize them.
    2)I can add non-installable add-ons, such as the ClickTeam Bonus Packs. They will be in the list of things you should get, but will bring you to a website if you try to get them.

I'm right now looking for an extension that can get the version information out of an extension file. I think I saw one a few weeks back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, dream no more about that feature - it has arrived!
    Download: http://puchisoft.com/mmf2aohq/software.html

>1.05
    -Misc cleanup
    [Manager]
    -Installed List is populated by actually present extensions, even if they are not in the DataBase
    -Installed List shows extension versions from actual files, not from DB
    -Checks if extensions went missing since install, and lists their version as "n/a", which calls for an update
    -Warns if add-ons are private, and opens URL instead of install
    -Gives proper error on trying to uninstall, if add-on is priv and not in archive
    -Launch MMF2 button (may not work with TGF2)
    -Can hit F2 to refresh add-on list now
    [Obtainer]
    -Ability to open mmf2ao for editing (Ctrl+O while viewing)

This also allows me to put non-MMF2AO extensions into the master database. For example, I have added the "Gradient" object. Now, this object has a license which prohibits me from turning it into an MMF2AO.

So, when you click to install it with MMF2 Add-On Obtainer, it will instead bring you to the website where you can get it. It's not nearly as nice as it would be to just have it in MMF2AO format, but it works, and it's nice to be able to get to the installer via the Manager.

Once you have the "Gradient" object installed, it will show up in your list of installed add-ons, even though it's not an MMF2AO. Just having this extension installed in your MMF2\Extensions folder makes it be included in your list here. The Manager will also get the File Version from the file, and compare it to what the master database believes is the newest version.
    So you can still use the Manager to check for updates to extensions that aren't even in MMF2AO format. :P

I believe this new version is very nice, and you should all check it out, even if you've previously had gripes about MMF2 AddOn Obtainer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now we are talking

While i still worry about the MMF2AO file format a bit, what about a feature to backup the downloads? Useful in case you have a HDD crash or other happy accidents with your OS. Then there would be no need to redownload everything again. But reinstalling from the backup folder, which is hopefully stored at an external HDD or burned to CD

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A software to backup installed extensions could be nice but backups should not be distributed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, haven't meant to provide backups. More a feature to reimport once downloaded extensions after a fresh install without the need to redownload them. But i get your point

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just keep a copy of the extensions foler and the runtime folder on my external HD and if I ever need to install MMF again then I just do it, then the updates and copy the folders back. Simple! No software required...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: New MMF2 Add-On Obtainer, Easily Obtain Extens

Quote Originally Posted by Tiles
    What about a feature to backup the downloads? Useful in case you have a HDD crash or other happy accidents with your OS.
    Well, the thing about the MMF2AO format is that these are all separate files. An MMF2AO is basically like an installer for that particular extension.
    You must remember that the whole Manager deal, as great as I think it is, is something that came after the MMF2AO format. The original idea was that people would just download the MMF2AO files, and then install them as they see fit.

The Manager still sticks with this concept. When you download a MMF2AO with the manager, these files are placed into the {MMF2AddOn Obtainer Install}\Archive folder (example: "C:\Program Files\Puchisoft\MMF2 Add-On Obtainer\Archive".

So if you look there, you will see all the MMF2AO files that you downloaded. To "View" one, just double click it. The Install button is, as always, right there as well.

Thanks for the positive feedback! The manager is finally really cool. ^_^

I just hope that more authors will embrace the MMF2AO format. Oh, and I also noticed that a lot of authors like to leave their extension version at 2.00 (which I assume is the default, considering the crazy-large number of extensions which are at that version).

I'd like to ask authors to please remember to at least increment their extension's version when they release new versions. I don't think it's been a problem yet, but I'm just making sure, since if we were to have two version of an extension with the same version, the Manager (or anybody, for that matter) would be unable to determine which is the new one.

Thanks to all authors for putting in the effort to making great extensions for us all!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: New MMF2 Add-On Obtainer, Easily Obtain Extens

The extensions list has been updated. It should be complete, and up to date, once again.

If any public extensions are missing or outdated, please contact me.

In less fortunate news, Sphax has released the new versions of his Message Box and Kernel object under a license forbidding the MMF2AO format.
    This has been respected, and clicking these will now result in the downloading of the respective installer exes.

As usual, the default master database of Add-Ons will update automatically.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast