User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Another Pocket PC question

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another Pocket PC question

I know there's already a Pocket PC thread - sorry about that. I also know it may be a long time until Clickteam get MMF2 programs running on them, but the thought still excites me.

I've never owned or used a Pocket PC, and I've only seen them a couple of times. I don't know much about them so sorry if I seem stupid. I know of a couple of the OSs they use, Windows Mobile 5 and Windows CE? Which OS will it be compatible with when the time comes? Any Pocket PCs you'd recommend? I'd like to purchase one sometime soon, but I don't want to buy one that'd be incompatible. I'm sure one with a good processor (400-500mhz) would run MMF2 programs fairly well.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Another Pocket PC question

I have a HP Ipaq 2200, which is an older model (Windows Mobile 2003 instead of Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition?)

It was quite good at the time, with a variety of games available. I had Age of Empires, Sim City 2000, Worms World Party and OpenTTD for it. It also comes with mobile versions of some of the Microsoft software, Word, Excel etc. No PowerPoint unfortunately, but there are companies that make PowerPoint compatible products for Pocket Pc.

One thing to note is that all of the data and settings on a Pocket Pc are stored in its ram, let the battery go flat and it will reset to factory settings

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

It would be best to wait if the main reason your getting a pocket PC is for MMF2 applications.

If you don't want to wait I would suggest whatever the latest OS is.

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dynasoft, is WWP like the original or just a bad mobile game, like Worms Open Warfare on the DS?

(Yes, I know this is off-topic, but I'll get back to the topic in a sec.)

And about the RAM, really? Doesn't it have flash memory? Well, I guess you could put it on sleep mode when it'd be about to deplete, right? Then just charge it. I am willing to wait, but it makes me wonder. Clickteam said it's on their to-do list after the next Vitalize, so surely it's not too far off? I think the new feature would give MMF2 sales quite a boost anyway. There's a whole new market for commercial Pocket PC games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember Worms was a lot more limited than it's PC equivalent, but I haven't played it in a while. It may have been missing the single player? Only having the skirmish mode I think.

About memory:
    A pocket pc automatically goes into standby when the battery gets down to a certain level (configurable), so that it can last 8-48 (IIRC) hours in standby before you lose your data. Most models have compact flash or sd card sockets for external data, but you can't store the OS or your settings on them (you can back up to them though). The newer models expose the empty section of the flash memory used to store the "permanent" copy of the OS (i.e. the factory settings version) for use as data storage (called the iPaq file store), but again there's no way to put the OS or your settings on there, except as a backup.

EDIT:
    Further reference:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hp_ipaq
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pocket_PC_games

The pocket pc model that has the warning tag about it being written like an advert (hx27..) and the next one (hx47..) are the most powerful pocket pcs available at the moment, with a >600MHz cpu, both data card sockets, wifi and bluetooth. The hx4700 also has a vga resolution display, 640x480 / 480x640 instead of the usual 320x240 / 240x320.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Windows Mobile 6.0 has just been released, although like anything like this it will be a while until lots of devices are generally available carrying this.

I own an iPaq 2210 which runs Windows Mobile 2003 but alas not Second Edition. Second Edition doesn't add much to the experience but it does give landscape mode which would be good for game playing. Lots of Pocket PC's don't have fast processors unless you spend a good deal of money. Mine uses a 400Mhz XScale Processor which is fast and good enough for Skype on the move - which does demand a 400Mhz or faster processor under the hood.

But as Jeff says, don't hold off on a Pocket PC purchase just for MMF2 compatibility. It looks like it will be some time before MMF comes to platforms such as this... if ever. Plus you'd need a Pocket PC with the ability to run a MMF Runtime and then whatever else the product on the device requires.

It's a nice dream; I for one would love to write Pocket PC applications in Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer... we can dream

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator ProPatch Maker
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pocket PC 2003 Second Edition is what I'm running on my Phone http://images.google.co.uk/images?svnum=10&hl=en&gbv=2&safe=off&q=spv+M500&bt nG=Search+Images

This little guy is capable of quite a number of feats I didn't think possible on the device.
    Emulates all the old consoles including Playstation apart from N64 and Dreamcast and helps keep my finances in check. It also doubles as a media centre too. Can play pretty much any media file with the right software. I never say the point of Ipods when I got this. OK I'm limited with 2 Gigs storage but I'm having a hard job filling a 4 gig Pen drive.

I don't know what will happen to the Pocket pc market when Clickteam release MMF2 for Pocket pc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks a lot for all of your help! The three suggested models look very nice. In particular, the hx4700's 640x480 resolution would make it possible to port many existing MMF/MMF2 games, correct? Except, I'm wondering how the controls would translate.

Skype sounds good, though I don't know of many wireless Internet providers so it'd only be handy in the house. As for the PS1 emulator, my PSP runs PS1 games perfectly, but it's a bit dodgy with running most stuff, so yes, I'd use it for that too.

So, thanks. I think you're right, suggesting that I should wait. After all, by the time the 'dream' happens, the suggested Pocket PC models will be far cheaper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Vodafone (UK only?) do a compact flash GPRS modem that works with pocket pc. But that might defeat the point in using Skype, as GPRS is still quite expensive (£1-£7 per MB IIRC).

EDIT: I can't find it anywhere on the net, maybe it's discontinued...

EDIT: If you were going to distribute an MMF game for pocket pc (for free or to sell) then it would be better to make it for the standard 320x240 screen, as there are very few with a larger res screen.

EDIT:
    Controls:
    A pocket pc has a touch-screen with stylus for the mouse, but of course the mouse doesn't move when the stylus isn't touching the screen (i.e. holding left mouse button). A lot of games get around this by having dragging the stylus be interpreted as moving the mouse and tapping the stylus be a click. It also doesn't have a right-click, which apps get round by interpreting a "long click" as right-click, and games tend to make you hold down a hardware button.

Most pocket pcs also have a direction pad with a center "click" (which is very difficult to press without pressing an arrow) as well as 4 or 5 buttons which by default open programs, email, calendar, etc. all of which games can use.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before this thread dies, a friend of mine is now buying a new hp ipaq hx2490 and I've learned something:

New pocket pcs (Windows Mobile 5 or 6) store your data in flash memory, so you don't lose it when the battery goes flat.

Progress!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast