User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [Bug] Sub-app framerate issues with dialogs, etc.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[Bug] Sub-app framerate issues with dialogs, etc.

While I was working on a sub-app-based application earlier, I noticed that opening a dropdown menu or dialog box (I found this out when I opened the About box) would cause the framerate of a sub-app to drop even after the dialog was closed. I know menus will drop the framerate while they're open, but it normally reverts once they're closed. This seems to only happen if MIS is enabled. Sometimes it will fix itself, but more often than not it won't. Turning off MIS mostly solves it, as dialogs and menus won't cause this problem (as far as I know), but tooltips and similar can still trigger it. Here's a recreation of what I mean:
    Sub-app example

The first part is easy, just enable MIS and open/close the about box, and the framerate will drop (the counter won't reflect it, but it's noticeable). It may or may not fix itself eventually; it usually doesn't for me.

It's a little more subtle with MIS off. Hover over the Run button until "Run application" appears, then run it immediately. There's a good chance that the framerate will hang around the mid- to low-40's. But my application is a lot more complex, so it'll end up dropping down to 30-ish. The only way to really fix this is to restart the app if it happens, which runs the risk of it happening again if the file information pop-up appears.

This happens in both the .exe and .mfa files, in my experience.

I know sub-apps are extremely intolerant when it comes to having a different framerate than their parent frames, but there should be some way of forcing them to "re-sync" with the parent frame. I've tried setting the framerate in all my frames to the same amount at Start of Frame, but obviously that causes problems itself.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Re: [Bug] Sub-app framerate issues with dialogs, etc.

Interesting.

I am sure Yves will put it on the work list since he plans to do some work on the graphics engine soon.

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    279 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

The problem with the Machine Independent Speed option in sub-applications will be fixed in the next version, but I don't see at all the problem without this option... could you send me another example where the problem happens without the MIS option?

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think I'm experiencing a similar problem, but I'm not using any dialogs nor any Windows control.

It seems that when an application runs subapps, the framerate of those subapps sometimes drops severly. The lag remains as long as the subapp is executed. And the main app's framerate isn't affected at all. For me it doesn't matter whether MIS is checked or not.
    This problem happens very randomly so be patient with the example provided. If you don't see any lag click 'Reload' to load another subapp. Also you might have greater chances to see it happen by building/running the .exe rather than by running the .mfa.

Example

Using MMF2Dev build R244. Tested on 4 different machines under XP and Win98.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that's because it has to load, try clicking the reload buton repeatedly and quickly, the frame rate of the main application drops, even down to 37!
    Working as fast as I can on Fusion 3

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yes I think the short framerate drop at loading is kind of normal. But did you notice any slowdown when letting the subapps running?
    Sometimes I have to reload the subapps a dozens of times before seeing a consitent and steady framerate drop.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: [Bug] Sub-app framerate issues with dialogs, e

I haven't noticed that, but in some cases I'd have to reload the subapp multiple times like you would have. After a while it would do this nearly every time I ran it.

My application uses external images for nearly everything (including a largeish border), which are all loaded Start of Frame. When I moved all the subapp events/objects to just the first frame, the framerate would stay at 50. But, because of the image loading, the framerate would drop into the 30's for a second at the start of the frame, which probably triggered the bug when subapps are used.

From what I've seen, the second example I gave (about the tooltips) doesn't seem to be much about those as it is about a framerate drop in general; it looks like anything that drops the framerate in the subapp far enough down (not sure how far exactly, but probably near the "buggy" value, as in my case) will cause it to mess up.

MIS just makes this a lot easier to trigger, and I'd almost think if it's fixed for MIS-enabled, it'd automatically fix the second problem as well.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I've checked your example with MIS on and I experienced the framerate drop after closing the dialog, resulting in frame skipping. But with MIS disabled I couldn't see any problem.

I don't really know if our problems are related. I've made a second example with a subapp loading internal frames this time. The problem also happens.

Example2

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, the sub app's frame rate is in the 30s!
    Working as fast as I can on Fusion 3

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thank you for testing. When the subapp lags, I always get around 25-27 FPS. Kinda strange.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast