User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Ogre or Irrlicht

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleMac Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Ogre or Irrlicht

I personally would like to see an EDT attempt at 3D which perhaps could be partly sponsered by CT, I am sure CT UK could put something towards it, its about time i sponsered something for once .

I wouldn't personally like the idea of it being restricted to only developers you allow access. I think anyone in EDT has already shown there merit.

I think it would be good if CT were heading it up as well as this is a biggie, perhaps Rhon would like to pick it up and project manage it?

I just think if something this big is going to be taken on, it would be good that there was some reward, even if it was only little.

Anyway let me know your thoughts, and any other ED's, on how it could work.

Jason

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I should be allowed to manage my own project. I think it is wise for a developer to lead a development project...

Of course I would let developers from here into the project, I would just like to screen them as a form of quality control to ensure that they have some experience working with Ogre first... That means that I would just like to see a small application that uses Ogre. This is the same thing that I do myself before I create any extension is I make a small program using the API to get familar with it.

I also want to design the extension in detail before a line of code is written.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleMac Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Im not trying to take take over your project or anything like that, theres nothing to stop you from working on Ogre, but i think something like this requires a group effort, and I personally like the idea of something like this being a CT led project, because it means that it can be more focussed in a particular direction and there is a possibility of payment for people involved. I think this way there is more chance that it wont disappear into the abys, like the Irrlicht object because people have other things in life to do

You may not agree, and thats perfectly fine. But im just putting it out there for discussion for you and the other ED's.

Thanks

Jason

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't disagree with the fact that it should be CT sponsored and have CT involvement but I also think that I should be allowed to direct the developments to ensure that the project develops.

From your post it certainly sounded like CT wanted to fully take over the development anyway. I personally do not agree with this and furthermore I am not going to allow it.

Thank you.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me clarify. It would be easier for someone from CT to push the extension into a direction that would not be the best direction for it to be pushed into. Unless the leader of the project had sound 3d experience then to have them make decisions about what features to have for instance is a bit rediculous.

I am worried that if it were CT lead by anyone other then Yves or Francois then it could end up suffering from too many features that are not really needed and too few features that are.

Of course CT will get a lot of input into the development process but I want to be able to make the calls as I DO have 3d experience.

Forum Moderator Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as the Irrlicht object that Turboferret was working on, I have no idea what happened to it or where he went. He sort of just fell off of the face of the earth.
    I think he got discouraged because there were so few people with both the 3D experience and the time available to test out his stuff. Maybe Andos has news of him?

I know 3D would be nice, but I do wonder if we have sufficient demand and experience in the community to take real advantage of it. You'd have to be very patient and be prepared for it to be a slow burner.

AndyH has masses of relevant design and development experience, but he's got lots of other demands on his time.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do wonder that myself. It is a good point.

I think that with the proper tutorials and resources, plus the fact that it is 3d, will inspire developers to learn it.

People used the 3d mesh object, Mode 7, KlikOpenGL, ect. They even made some neat things in it despite the fact that they were a bit weak. To me that says that there are people in the community who would be able to use this stuff and to take full advantage of it .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I would say, im not here to steal your work or take over your development ideas.

I fully understand you want to do this extension, and its open source, so no one can stop this, or in fact prevent anyone else giving it ago.

I know how busy you are, obviously your still working on the Physics object which has taken awhile, and I worry this extension will take a very long time without someone pushing it, but without it being a group effort its not going to happen.

Im just trying to add my knowledge to the post, and looking for ideas and comments, im not trying to upset anyone or prevent you from doing what you want. But I can see there is a big possibility that this would fail early on if the lessons are not learnt from Irlicht.

Thanks

Jason

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm agree with you Vortex2 and to be sure about that, I've made a little poll on a French website about development priority of MMF2 and 3Dobject is the second one after Hardware acceleration and before Vitalize4...

So I think if a 3D object is developed for MMF2, a lot of users will try it and some developers will work for it (if they can)!

EDIT: But I think Physics has a highest priority for the moment.

Forum Moderator Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I made some pretty nice stuff in Jamagic too, but you don't get showcase games done without a dedicated team. The graphics are the killer - you have to have lots of prebuilt models for people to use.

I'm not saying it won't happen, but be prepared for a lot of frustration at the slowness of the uptake. Are you sure your time wouldn't be better spent on some of your other projects? You were getting masses of forum feedback and anticipation for the Physics engine.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast