Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Advanced Shoot Object extension

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advanced Shoot Object extension

I hope requesting this type of extension isn't out of line. I know I said I would fiddle with the SDK and see if I could get this working myself but after hearing that the extension SDK will only compile with VC, which I absolutely can't run for some reason, I kinda gave up on that. (Curse you Microsoft!)

So here's my idea. The Shoot Bullet function, while useful, is limited. Using fast loops to get past the biggest limitation, 32 directions, isn't intuitive, and will not work as well when needing to use different types of bullets, shooting multiple bullets at once or having multiple objects shooting bullets. What would be nice is an extension that sets an object, then gives you options for shooting a bullet. You can specify speed, which angle (360 is a must and preferably through expression but not required) acceleration and deceleration (Like a missile) and possibly other things. Shooting bullets is easy but it's hard to get a lot on the screen at once and I'm hoping this type of object would fix that and hopefully, bring in a few other uses too and make shooting games a lot more interesting. If nothing else this'll please the danmaku fans...

So yeah, that's me idea and request. If I've broken some rule or something, I apologize. I read the rules for this forum but I wasn't sure if this request could meet them or not. I guess I'm just a bit desperate for this.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Advanced Shoot Object extension

i'm sorry but shooting a 360degrees bullet is so easy to code... there's a lot of tutorials about that. I don't think we should make an extension for each little thing like this. else we just put extension in our frames and then we have a game! if you wanna, for example, add nice stuff like bullet time or bullet deviation the extension gets useless as far as it's not made for.
    extension making is useful for task that can't be done with events, or stuff that is way to slow in events and could be made in c++.
    if you want a tutorial for all those things you 'd like to see in an extension, just ask, i'd be glad to help

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing is, while it is easy to code a 360 bullet, it has serious limitations. For one, most examples out there only cover that for one object...which is bad. When you make a bullet shooting example, you should be able to apply it to any object and shoot as many bullets as you need. But in most cases, you're restricted to one target at a time, one object at a time and when you try and get some freedom, you end up duplicated events and soon you have 500+ different loops, 200+ different actives and 1000+ events all in a single frame. And that's just one frame.

I've already posted two topics about this in the technical support and the recent topic I made came out with no real solution for me. I agree that making a frame and having our game done just like that isn't gonna get ourselves anywhere but there's a difference between learning something and developing a bad habit. That's why I asked for this extension, to prevent the latter from happening.

Again, I know coding a 360 bullet is easy, but it's far from efficient and doesn't really do the job it's supposed to do. It fires ONE bullet at a time for ONE object...I don't see how that really looks good, at least when you're attempting a decent top down shooter.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's my example of an infinite number of 360 degree bullets. Use the left/right arrow keys, and Space Bar. It does not quite require 500+ loops, 200+ actives, etc.

You should easily be able to support any number of turrets, targets, and bullets with this method.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyway, someone would soon say 360 degrees isn't enough precision, and that the bullet doesn't exactly reach the mouse. A method using Vertical and Horizontal speed is probably better, and I guess it's just what Nifflas did. No fast loop, one active per bullet, plus the ability to create gravity, acceleration/deceleration, wind...

Of course such an extension could be done, but I'm not really sure it would be better than hand-coding.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I would like to see an extension that could do this.
    While its possible to event it -- I agree anything that makes it easier for new users is a big plus.

The nice thing is advanced users can still do it themselves but it gives new users a nice push.

I would also like to see the build in shoot an object function get a few new options and features. Something to bother Francois about

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Despite that it moves with an x and y speed, you can easily add directional speed to my example too. Just use an expression similar to the one that figures out the x and y speed from the turret angle.

However, isn't there a "vector movement" type that does exactly what you're after?

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Yes I am pretty sure the vector movement can do it.
    Good call on that.

I still would support the extension and some general improvements on shoot function.

The vector movment can become complex and might scare away new users. Its always great to have many options so you can do it easy or you can program it out all yourself. The more the better.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nifflas
    Here's my example of an infinite number of 360 degree bullets. Use the left/right arrow keys, and Space Bar. It does not quite require 500+ loops, 200+ actives, etc.
    You should easily be able to support any number of turrets, targets, and bullets with this method.

There is of course a problem with higher bullets speeds... So if instead of factor 2, you sat that trig function is multiplied by amplitude of 30, it would skip about 25 pixels each loop, hence avoiding collision with small objects...

Is there any way this could be avoided...? Except with using loops...?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You still get that problem with the inbuilt movement types. There's always the "move safely" object though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast