User Tag List

Thread: MooSock server - how to differentiate between ppl

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MooSock server - how to differentiate between ppl

I am hosting a MooSock server. There are a few people connected.

I want people to be able to log in. So, I want to save which CONNECTION is logged in, and which ones aren't.
    I have it set up to select sockets on triggered events.

I was going to use the named variable object to save information about each connected Connection. But by what am I suppose to save info?

The only thing I can get is people's IP. That's not useful. I could have people come in from behind a router, in which case I have many connections with the same IP, none of which I can differentiate between.

I need to get the connection ID or socket ID or something unique to each connection, that will never repeat.

----
    Edit: Oh, "Set Socket Property" is associated with the selected socket. That makes it much more useful. Excellent. hehe

Nevermind.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: MooSock server - how to differentiate between

done with ease for a custom server i was developing
    you need list objects for names, id, etc.
    and lots of loops and events.
    Mine was secure, if you joined and tried joining a channel or sending text to a user, you got kicked right away, if you login and got it wrong, you got kicked, if you authenticated correctly then you would have all restrictions removed.
    Now that I do not care for creating games or applications, I no longer use MMF or any programs simular to it, maybe someday I will return, but I will not be releasing the source to the special server & client for this (server was made in 2.0, client was made in 1.5), if you are really desperate you can PM me and I will try to help without MMF as it is no longer installed. (Named variable object or other arrays were not used, SQL-LITE was used for user information, although it was planned to get that from a network MySQL server using ODBC...)

To all other CT Forum users: thanks for helping other people and giving them advice, not being a troll like I used to be, hopefully in the last few posts I made, I was acting more as a person and not some stuck-up ass, thanks for all the good memories and fun, happy birthday to Francois yesterday and have a good convention... But most of all: support CT and spread the word of the amazing programs they make, and enjoy using them!
    (PS: do *NOT* add my email on msn asking for MMF help or something, had someone called `Glen` with an email starting with CODE... yes I was rude but you did manage to crash the program I was using :/)
    anyway, nK ~ Out

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bye neat_Kliker2. It's been a pleasure.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heh. I have never heard of this "Glen", but I've done my share of server crashing. That is, discovering how to do it, and telling people. I never abused it.

About the server. I was solely simplifying my issue by saying I was using the Named Variable Object, since most people get scared when they hear Lua.
    In reality, I'm just using MMF2 for MooSock and output. I'm actually using Lua tables to lookup named from ConnectionIDs, which I associate with MooSock's connections via the Set Property deal.

It's a neat server, and works great for testing, I'd say; with all the logic in Lua. But it's not really what I want for the release grade of my game server.

Good thinking with the MySQL. What I really want, is a threaded C++ server, with Lua for logic and MySQL for data storage/retrieval. If I could get that, I'd be happy as pie.

For the client, I'll stick with MMF2. It works great for my needs in a game client.