Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCFirefly 3D Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Parallax scrolling issues

Hello,

I've recently been adding parallax scrolling to a game that I'm working on but I've run into a few problems.

The first problem.

At first I used layers to achieve parallax scrolling but then I noticed that in levels where I had placed backdrops with platform collisions, the platform backdrops began to act like they had obstacle collisions whenever I added a new layer underneath the layer that the platform backdrops were in.

For example; In one level I placed in a backdrop and under collisions in its properties, changed it to platform. When I play the level, I can jump on top of the platform or walk past it and it works fine. When I add a new layer and place it underneath the layer with the platform, when I go to play the level the character can still jump on top of the platform, but for some reason cannot walk past it and instead is blocked by it as if its collision type is set to obstacle. If I remove the new layer I added or place it above the layer with the platform in it, this problem goes away. The platform and the player object are both in the same layer.

After this happened I read that another way to achieve parallax scrolling was with a Background System Box.

The second problem.

I managed to get the background system box to do parallax scrolling through some tutorials I read, and it works fine except that as it is scrolling, it leaves behind it a 'trail' of itself like it is smearing across the screen. The smear disappears as soon as the screen stops scrolling.

Here is an example of what I mean.

I tried a number of things to try to make it stop smearing, but I haven't found a solution. The event to make it parallax scroll that I used went like this

Always: set position to (X left frame/2, 0)

I didn't put anything in for Y because I only want it to be horizontal, but I did try putting something in for Y just to see if it would fix it but it didn't.

I am currently using the trial version of MultiMedia Fusion 2 Developer (Build D240) so I don't know if these problems occur in the newest version of MMF2.

Are these problems non-existent in the newest version? If so then sorry for the big post. If not then is there any way to fix these problems or another way to achieve parallax scrolling? Or am I doing something wrong? :confused:

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Parallax scrolling issues

To stop the smearing you must place another background system box underneath that one to fill the entire "blank" background. Then it won't smear

Clicker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried adding another one behind it, both without any coloring and with but it's still smearing.

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I am currently using the trial version of MultiMedia Fusion 2 Developer (Build D240) so I don't know if these problems occur in the newest version of MMF2.
    Just install the latest official build (244) and retry, I think the first problem has been fixed in a patch.

Not sure about the second one though.

Clicker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yves
    Just install the latest official build (244) and retry, I think the first problem has been fixed in a patch.

Not sure about the second one though.
    Alright I updated to 244 and the smearing with the background system boxes stopped :grin: Thanks.

The problem where platform objects act like obstacles when a layer is added under the layer the platforms are in is still occuring though, but I can use the bsb's so it's ok