User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do I add Alpha Channels to 100+ frames easily?

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do I add Alpha Channels to 100+ frames easily?

Hello,

I'd like to know if there is an easy way to alpha channels to multiple frames (over 100) easily. I made an animation in another program, which I imported to MMF2. But, it has all this blackish colored stuff around the edges of the object, and it doesn't really look good without the alpha channel added. The problem is, the animation is 120 frames, and I don't want to just click the button to add the alpha channel to each individual frame. That would take quite a long time.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Neonotso

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: How do I add Alpha Channels to 100+ frames easily?

Hoo-hoo. 120 frames of animation?

I can't think of an easy way to do this inside MMF2 (perhaps there is such a way, perhaps not) - I would do this in Photoshop.

Open all the frames in PS and record a new action: create a new layer from the background, select the black color, feather the selection, delete everything selected, save the file as PNG. Stop recording the action and use this action to do the same for all the other frames (just a click of a button, thanks to Photoshop's action system - it really saves a lot work when working on animations or correcting an error that's been made in a series of images).

Then, rename all those PNG's (the easiest way to do this would be by using Irfanview's batch rename option) so that each frame has an increasing number at it's end (for example: "anim1.png", "anim2.png", "anim3.png") and import the whole animation into an active.

This is how I would've done it, but perhaps someone has a better idea?

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: How do I add Alpha Channels to 100+ frames eas

I haven't really used Photoshop much, but that looks like it might work. I think I'll give it a try.

EDIT: Hmm... I don't think this'll work. I'd have to actually select (like with the lasso tool) the blackish part, right? That would be hard to do, and the part that's black changes from frame to frame. Thanks anyway, koobare.

What I would do if there was not a faster way, is to go to each frame, use the selection tool and select all that's there, copy it, create an alpha channel, and paste what I previously selected into the alpha channel.

Here's what a frame of my object looks like without the alpha channel:

Here's what it looks like with the alpha channel:

Any more ideas?

Neonotso

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, you don't have to do it manually, that's where action recording steps in. I'm not sure which version of Photoshop you're using, but if it's not too old, it'll work.

You can achieve all of this by using three different methods, two of them are pretty easy to do:

a) Use 'Color Range' option from the 'Select' menu, choose an appropriate color range descending from your Black, then use the 'Feather' option (same menu) - it should work like a charm. And you've got a fully working action recorded to use on your next frames - just remember to record everything, including your usage of the 'Color Range' command.

b) You can also record other selection tools... After you've started recording, select the 'Magic Wand' tool and click on the transparent space on one of the blank corners of your image (try to click the furthermost blank pixel from the center of the image). Then, right-click and select 'Similar'. After that's done, use 'Modify > Expand' and 'Feather' commands from the 'Select' menu to make your selection, then delete it.

If you won't forget to record and play out your actions, this should work pretty well and fast. Remember that you should Feather your selection a bit, so that it has smooth edges - feathering is the key here.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am actually currently using PS 5.5. I'll see if I can figure out those things you just mentioned.

EDIT: Okay, I seem to have gotten everything except for one thing... how do I save it as a PNG? If I choose Save As, I can only choose the Photoshop format, and if I choose Export, it only gives me some kind of GIF, and something related to Illustrator. I'd think this part would be the easiest, but I don't know how to do it.

EDIT2: Oddly enough, if I choose Save a Copy, it works... I guess I'll use that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, check it out - I'm not even sure if action recorder is present in that version. If not - perhaps try downloading a demo of the newest version, just to convert all of these images?

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a question. Why is it that I make a new layer? I don't seem to be putting anything on that layer. Also, when I push the delete key when I have the black part selected, nothing seems to happen.

Yes, the action recorder is in this version. Maybe I'll check out the demo sometime, anyway, though.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hang on, does the animation you recorded in another program already have an alpha channel?

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neonotso, for this kind of object, you should use the ink effect "add" without alpha channel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neonotso, this depends on how your images are built at start. If they have a solid background, you need to create a new layer from background - not just a new layer, but with that "from background" part. Here, take a look:

If they didn't have any background to begin with - you can skip this part, since they are already placed on a non-backgroundish layer.

As for the "add" ink effect as Sphax suggested - that's a way out, but it does change your images appearance in a way... I usually stick to nicely done alpha channels.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast