User Tag List

Thread: String Object - display on different computers

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

String Object - display on different computers

My current project is text intensive - the texts are displayed via the String object. When I run this project on multiple computers, I notice the texts look different on each computer. How can I keep them consistent while still using the String object?

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: String Object - display on different computers

It depends on the fonts installed on the computer. If you choose fonts installed only on your computer, on the other computer it will choose the best approaching font.
    To solve that, you would need to make an installer (with Install Creator why not) and install the font you want when you install the program. OR simpler solution choose a font like Arial that is installed on every computer.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Francois, if I install the font in the project's directory, is there a way to have the String object reference the font from there instead? imho, I felt it's a bit intruding to install a new font on someone else's computer.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's no more intruding than installing your application on their computer. They click install, they get your stuff.

Many applications and games install fonts and files in your windows folder that it doesn't tell you about.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes nick is right, such as 30-day free trials they install a file in a hidden place that tells the application when to stop working.

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I imagine most trial software uses the registry to count its days (which is a pretty abusable idea in the first place).

I'm also using a non-standard font in my latest game and I did wonder about the intrusiveness of installing a new font... although as long as you say that you're going to do it and give the user the choice, that risk goes down.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a bad idea to install fonts on the user's computer. Doing so with my latest game, I learned that many people really hate this. Even worse, some publishers/distributors will not accept such a game.

Actually I lost money because all distributors who accepted my game failed to install the fonts properly. The game couldn't find the required fonts and replaced them with standard fonts. This ruined the look of the game. The distributors usually install fonts to the application directory. I told them multiple times to install them into Windows\Fonts, but they didn't get it, it seems to be VERY unusual to do it this way.

Since MMF can't use fonts which are simply installed into the application directory, I gave up and replaced every piece of text with Verdana. Looks much less appealing, but fonts are not worth the trouble they cause.

Also, I didn't want to re-create every text object like Hiscore List or Edit Box with a Text Blitter-based solution.

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If other applications install their fonts to the application folder, that implies that there's a way to use them directly from there - I'd previously thought that the font restriction was a feature of Windows. If it's possible for other programs to use fonts in their home folders, it might be something to add to the wish list...

Clicker Fusion 2.5Android Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This problem is old for string texts and other things using fonts. The solution would be an extention to include fonts.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few weeks ago I wrote this to the extensions forum, but can't find the topic anymore. Seems most users don't care too much about, though it would be great for those who create commercial stuff. Fonts are not a strength of MMF.