User Tag List

Thread: Level dimension limits

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleFirefly 3D Module

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Level dimension limits

Today I discovered that my MMF2pro has limits about the dimensions of the level: 32000 pixel for side.

That's a pretty strong limit for my game: a decent sidescroller shoot'em up needs a pretty fast scroll, or at least a not slow one, and 32000 pixel of level (=50 screens in 640x480) it's really not much.

Would be possible to delete the limit, or at least to make it bigger?

Consider also that with upcoming hardware acceleration people will develop faster and bigger resolution games, and such limit will be even more felt. Cannot imagine, i.e. a sonic clone with that limit. Or even a nearly professional sidescroller shoot'em up. And we're talking about doing things that are doing games of >10 years ago!!

Please, can you consider that matter?!?

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Re: Level dimension limits

This limit is only in the frame editor, as the scroll bars, as well as the spin control used in the properties, are limited to 32767. This issue is in our todo list.

At runtime the limit is 2,147,483,647.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found myself running into problems like this all the time. A very good solution for this is setting the virtual width to -1 for the frame. This way, you can make your side-scroller play on for an almost unlimited amount of space. This only works if you are moving right or down though, so if you plan on moving right or up, set the objects position to something like 1,000,000 at the start of the frame.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleFirefly 3D Module

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The "virtual width" thing seems really what I need for my game.

Only one question: with that option seems that, for tiling properly, backgrounds have to be exaclty the same large of the window (in my case, 640). Otherwise the tiles gets cutted and has graphical glitches.

It's just how it works, or do I have a way to not redraw part of my backdrops?

Thank you for the info!!

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once again this is another problem I ran into. What you have to do is make the real frame size larger, but also so that the tiled background is exactly at the end.

So for example if your image was 175 in width and the frame was 640, it wouldn't flow smoothly. Then you would set the frame width to 700 so it fits evenly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's perfectly clear. Thank you!!!