User Tag List

Thread: How to make a realistic looking backround

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to make a realistic looking backround

Hi... I'm back again guys... so this time I was wondering if you guys know how to make a background move slower that the actual ground it self like in Metroid/ Contra/ Megaman.... it would be really sweet! I will include a video to show you guys what i mean... look at the way the background moves

http://youtube.com/watch?v=m6GWnT3eYVw - Megaman

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7w5LdazJN2M - Metroid

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IbM8_8gV0Ac - Contra

Take a look at the way the backgrounds work... THANKS!!!

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: How to make a realistic looking backround

You can either do this by using Background System Objects and setting their position through the Event Editor, or (much easier) use the Layers feature.

Add a new layer (press Ctrl+K to bring up the Layers toolbar), drag it down so that it's the first one, set its scrolling coefficients to less than 1 in the Properties (0.5 for both works pretty well as a starting point) and put your background in there.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

David is right. It is much simpler to use the new built in layer system in MMF2 to get this effect.

The effect your talking about I believe is called a scrolling "parallax background". The word "parallax" refers to the effect of two or more items (in this case the foreground and background) appearing to move at different rates from one another as a result of the viewerís viewpoint moving around, and the difference in distances to the items. (Sorry about that rather lengthy sentence.)

===Problems:
    To get the parallax background effect there are a few things to be aware of. (At least, these are things I have had some problems with.)
    You can not open the properties of a layer by selecting the layer and using the main menu bar by selecting Edit > Properties. It does not work for some reason. (At least not on any MMF2 version Iíve seen). You also canít open the properties of a layer by selecting the layer and typing a custom shortcut key assigned to Edit > Properties.

To get the properties of a layer:
    1: You must open the properties window from an object, (or pretty much anything other than a layer).
    2: once the properties window is open, dock it with the side of the screen. (I use left of the screen below the "Workspace Toolbar".)
    3: Now click the layer you wish to edit, and you should see the layer properties appear in the properties window.

===The "X coefficient" and "Y coefficient" fields:
    Now after getting the properties window open for a layer, notice the "X coefficient" and "Y coefficient" fields. If set these lower than "1" the later will scroll slower than normal, and if you set them greater than 1 the layer will scroll faster than normal. They basically do exactly what they say; 1 is normal, 2 is twice as fast, 0.5 is half as fast. The slower you make the backdrop the farther away it will look.

===To create a parallax background:
    1: Open the layer toolbar by selecting from the main menu bar View > Toolbars > Layers Toolbar. (Note: you can also type Ctrl + K)
    2: On the Layers Toolbar click the "+" button at the top right to add a new layer. (It will likely be named "2")
    3: In the properties enter a name for the new layer like "BG" or "Background".
    4: Left Click Drag the layer down beneath the default layer.
    5: In the "BG" layerís properties, set the "X coefficient" and "Y coefficient" fields to something lower than "1", such as "0.5". (Or "0.1" if you want the background to look really far away.)
    6: Now try out the game. (Remember you must have some room to scroll the camera around in to see the effect.)
    DONE

Good luck
    Take care.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow... thanks SO much guys... I'm actually at school right now... but once I get a chance to try it out I will let you know you guys rock!

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fisholith, your point about not being able to see the properties of a layer is interesting... I had never seen that before because I always have the Properties window docked, but I tested it while windowed and I couldn't get it to come up for layer properties either.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SWEET... it worked! thanks A LOT guys... and I will probably be back with the game and show you guys and get feed back from you to see what I can do better!

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OMFG, this looks amazing. Thank you so, so much Fisholith!
    This definetly gives my game what its been missing for so long.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad to help out.

Two other things you might be interested in doing with scrolling parallax layers are the scrolling foregrounds and the rotating cylinder illusion.

=========Terms:
    Just to make it a bit easier to talk about some of the things that donít have common names Iíll first define some terms Iíll be using.

"Main game environment layer": Iíll use to describe the layer where most of the game action happens. This is the layer that the player usually interacts with, be it platforms, side scrolling enemies, etc.

"Above" (when referring to layers): Because of the way layers are displayed in the MMF2 layers panel, "Above" when referring to layers means "in front of".

=========Foregrounds:
    ===Notes: This effect gives the appearance of a layer in the foreground that is closer to the viewer than the main game environment layer. This is achieved by placing a layer above (in front of) your main game environment layer, and commanding it to scroll faster than your main game environment layer. To do this set the foreground layerís X and Y scrolling coefficients to a value greater than 1. (Remember, a coefficient of 2 is twice as fast as 1.)

Just below the scrolling coefficients, are two wrapping options. These tell MMF2 to wrap (loop/tile) the layer contents so that the layer will repeat rather than scroll out of the frame. You should enable "Wrap Horizontally" and "Wrap Vertically" for the foreground layer. (Later on if you want, you can try building a huge foreground image and leaving "Wrap" options turned off, but for now I recommend turning them on.)

Finally, The foreground effect can be quite impressive looking depending on how it's used, but be careful not to overdo it. To keep a foreground layer from becoming too obtrusive, you can make very little of it solid, or make it semitransparent.

===The Setup:
    Layer 3: Scrolling foreground (coefficients: X = 2, Y = 2, or anything above 1)
    Layer 2: Main game environment. (coefficients: X = 1, Y = 1)
    Layer 1: Scrolling background (coefficients: X = 0.5, Y = 0.5, or anything below 1)

===Example Movie:
    This movie is taken from an Amiga game named "Shadow of the Beast".
    Note the fence in the foreground.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHU2guYH7Og

=========Rotating cylinder illusion:
    ===Notes: This effect gives the appearance of player walking around the near edge of a hollow cylinder (like a well). The far edge rotates the opposite direction giving the illusion that the camera is rotating around the cylinder to track the player. This is achieved by using a negative "X" scrolling coefficient for the background, (e.g. "-0.5").

===The Setup:
    Layer 2: Main game environment. (coefficients: X = 1, Y = 1)
    Layer 1: Scrolling background (coefficients: X = -0.5, Y = 0.5)

===Example Movie:
    This movie is taken from a Sega game named "Dynamite Headdy".
    You can ignore the cloud layer in the far background, as it is not part of the effect. The effect begins at the 00:09 seconds mark. As the player moves from side to side on the near platform, notice how the far platform moves the opposite direction.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gy2pSG3Lh4

=========Final notes:
    ===Wrapping:
    When a you turn on "Wrap Horizontally" or "Wrap Vertically" the area in pixels that is looped is the frame (not your window) size. i.e. If your frame is 1600 by 1200 then layers with wrap enabled will loop after every 1600 pixels in the X direction, and every 1200 pixels in the Y direction.
    Unfortunately, you cannot select between looping the frame dimensions and looping on custom user-defined dimensions, so looping square textures with the "Wrap" options can be a hassle or impossible depending on the dimensions of your texture. The workarounds I recommend for this are (A): Leave the "Wrap" options turned off, and just make a motif with an image size the will fit your texture, and then make it's object size so big that you canít scroll off of it; or (B): (Less recommended) Leave "Wrap" on and make your frame dimensions any size that is evenly divisible by your background/foreground texture dimensions.

===Other effects:
    Any blending or ink effects on a layer will blend down onto the next layer, including Semitransparency, Add, and alpha channels. One of the effects I have used alpha channels for is to get a depth of field effect, (i.e. This is the photographic effect whereby near or far objects appear out of focus depending on where the focus is).

To get the depth of field foreground blur effect, blur a foreground image that uses an alpha channel for its transparency, and blur its alpha channel. Use this in the foreground, and it will look as if your seeing depth of field in the foreground layer.
    If you plan to tile the foreground image you will need an image editing tool that can wrap a blur effect round the edges of the texture (like "Texture Maker"), or if you don't have such a tool, you can make a 3x3 tiling of you image in an image editing tool like Photoshop, blur the tiled image, and crop out everything but the center copy of your image. Be sure that you are left with the exact dimensions of your original image. (Note: As odd as it may sound, I believe there is no easy way to simply tile an image in Photoshop, so you may have to do this by hand.)

Hope this helps out.

Clicker SWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can actually also make really 3D parts using the perspective object.