User Tag List

Thread: Negative Gravity

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Negative Gravity

Okay, putting in a negative gravity breaks it.
    But why should it?

I want to use the gravity to get nice deceleration and acceleration on an object. It's by far the quickest way to get the desired effect.
    But gravity is always down. which I don't always want. Why shouldn't I be allowed to change the direction of gravity at will?

All I want is to be able to create something which moves upwards, decelerates until it stops at the peak, then accelerates downwards. Which is exactly what the pinball behaviour does.
    But... Once it reaches it's starting point, I basically want it to do the exact same thing, but upside down.
    i.e. move downwards, slowing down until it stops at the bottom, then accelerate upwards to return back to the starting point.

effectively a sine wave movement without and X component.
    Bouncing or reversing doesn't produce the same deceleration effect.

It seems like it should be easy to do, if I could enter a negative gravity, then, logically (in my head) that'd do it.

But even better, why can't I just specify the direction of gravity.

I could make a Loco Roco style game then easy.

It seems like I am being stopped from doing this because gravity in real life doesn't go negative, well, I don't care, it'd be very useful and time saving to be able to do it.

/end of rant. I really like MMF2, but I always feel like I'm having to fight the program to get it to do what I want.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Re: Negative Gravity

You must be using the built in movements?
    I think you will need to do a custom movement engine to have this work as you want. Maybe some of the Movement controller and some of those can also help you out.

Now --
    I like the idea of adding a "floor" option in the built in movements .. So you could pick down/up left or right as the direction of gravity. Maybe it can happen in some future pack or when more people use the movement SDK.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*Game Idea I toyed with a few years back*

A side scroller with a gravity switch. when ya flip it, you end up getting pulled UP. the BOTTOM of platforms become the surface you walk on...makes for fun multiplayer action...

other idea---> have a personal gravity controller that lets you do the same but selct left/right/up/ or down as the direction of the "pull" So you can walk up a wall, etc)

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nevermind.

I can use the circular movement, and read off the Y positions to get the desired effect.

Yes, it could be done with a harmonic spring formula or something, but it's been a long time since I've done any maths, I hate doing maths and Wikipedia doesn't explain what K stands for, what wt is etc etc etc.

Also for a program which is supposed to remove the programming from making games, it should strive to remove the maths as well.