User Tag List

Thread: Moo....Bytes?

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moo....Bytes?

Lets say I have made a really good fast working MooClick PLATFORM engine and I tested it with 2 players that live close to eachother (Like streets away) how many packets and bytes will there be (Aprox) if we walked around for 30 seconds. I need an aprox because I want to compare it with my engine. Maybe people can give me results from their engines and tell me. That will be great,

Thanks!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator ProPatch Maker
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Moo....Bytes?

Shouldn't really matter, if you can send at a reasonable 10-20ms interval. On a lan you can send it faster but your server will need to do all the latency calculations as you will need to time the players movement based on their ping. MooGame has this built into it.

You should only need to send movement and firing data.
    everything else can be calculated with a good platform engine and good server code.
    if you can compress the movement data into simple short strings you can incorporate extra stuff if needed.

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It all depends on what engine you use.
    AFAIK it does not matter if you live in England and the other player live in Spain. There's still same number of packets being sent?
    Also AFAIK the packets size does not get smaller if you send a smaller text.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok another question:
    1. When I send packets The bytes is little on the computer that sends it but when it recieves the bytes on the user's screen, the user recieves more bytes/packets.
    Why?
    How can I send really small packets? I was testing with my brother with his laptop and my other computer and it was only 2 users and 30 seconds and my brother was moving around like crazy and I was standing still and I recieved more packets than my brother. 12 mb!
    12 mb with 2 users in 30 seconds. And In my bro's computer it was half a mb!? It is recieving something wrong.

[color:#CC33CC]* dynamite422 goes to fix his engine.[/color]

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also AFAIK the packets size does not get smaller if you send a smaller text.

--> The packet size if affected by the size of the info that you send.

How often are you sending the packets? You shouldn't send more than 6 per second i think. Otherwise very bad things will happen

Oh and in my experience, size of packets isn't usually the problem. Its how often you send them. If you have a choice between size and how often, always comprimise size. As internet speeds these days can upload and download larger files than before, you packets won't even budge these limits.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes I fear that some computers will have dreadful lag... -.- Just recently my windows XP was sent for repairs so in the mean time I had to use my windows 98 and it got soooooo laggy I thaught it was the engine. Yesterday I got my computer back and I ran the engine with my brother and was Incredibly, Crazily non elagy! like the moment I pressed the arrow key the user moved in my bro's comp. I am afraid that people with laggy windows 98's will have a dreadful time using my engines. But my 98 was unique.. Games ran at 3 fps.

Thanks for all your posts!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator ProPatch Maker
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ehh.. still running 98?
    What spec is the pc and if it's not good enough for XP it's probably not good enough for your game.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see why the operating system would make the game run slower.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you really want to send less info, try turning numbers into characters. I had to do that lately.

For example, if you have a few numbers ranging from 1 to no more than 256, try instead of doing like "65*107" (you know, separating them old school with String Parser), just sending "Ak". The number fits into one character, and no more need to put in a separator!

The idea is simple. Just look up the character to number, and vice versa, conversion using an Ascii Table. http://www.asciitable.com/

Not sure if MMF2 has a function to do that build in, but Lua does, and MMF2 can run Lua code, so you're all set.

PS: If you want numbers greater than 256, you are gonne have to do a little more work, but it's very possible.