Thread: Need help in creating a Turrican-style engine

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need help in creating a Turrican-style engine

Hello everybody,

this is my first post and I'm already asking for help. Hope you don't mind though

Currently I'm trying to create a platform engine for a Turrican fan game (best platform game ever imo), based on David Newton's Fastloop Custom Platform Movement for Multimedia Fusion. So far I have been able to remove all the stuff I don't need and been trying to add support for elevators. I've been trying for days now and just can't get it right. The player sprite seems to react to the elevator in some way but then slips through it in the end.

Another thing I'm trying to add but can't get working either is smooth movement on diagonal surfaces (I included one in the test level). I want the player sprite to detect diagonal surfaces and move up and down on them accordingly.

I am optimistic that an experienced user won't need much time to fix the stuff I screwed up. This is my first go at creating an event-based platform engine and I would highly appreciate your help. I want to make this game so hard

The MMF file can be downloaded from here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/87577690/Turrican_Engine__Help_needed_.mfa.html

Thank you all for taking notice.

Hoping to read you soon

mrleeman

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Need help in creating a Turrican-style engine

Hi, sorry I can't help you with this. I'm posting here because I have the exact same problems. I've looked at your file and it seems like you did the same thing to the elevator as I did.

About diagonal surfaces, maybe you should look at a game called Zeb, it has diagonal slopes. I've been trying to merge it with the Fastloop Platform Movement, but I just can't get it to work.

So just like you, I'm hoping someone can help me with this, thanks in advance.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, it's me again. About diagonal surfaces, you might want to take a look at this: http://www.clickteam.com/epicenter/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=52566&fpart=1

I haven't found anything on the elevator yet, but I hope this will help you at least a little bit.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've not looked at your code, or used David's engine before, but the gist of moving platforms in a custom movement is generally this:

Your custom movement is ultimately just generating an X speed for the player, and a Y speed. These are based on the controls you've put in. That's what I call the PLAYER ELEMENT.

But, in addition to this, you use what I call an ENVIRONMENT ELEMENT. This is another X and Y speed, based on the environment.

You can liken it to sitting in a car. You are stationary, you aren't moving anywhere. So the PLAYER ELEMENT in this situation is 0. But the CAR is moving at 100km/h, so the ENVIRONMENT ELEMENT is 100km/h.

So you are moving at 0 + 100km/h.

If you then climb out of the car and start walking on the roof at a speed of 1km/h, your speed is now:

1km/h + 100km/h

Your speed, plus the car's speed.

The same is done for a platform movement. You need to keep a record inside the moving platform of how fast it is going. Then when the player lands on it, set his environment speed to the speed of the platform.

This same principle works with conveyor belts. If you walk right at 2px/s, and the conveyor is moving right at 2px/s, then your player's actual speed is 4px/s. Conversely, if he tries moving LEFT at 2px/s, then his actual speed is 0, because it's offset by the conveyor speed.

But like I said, I can't see your code right now, so you may have trouble with object detection perhaps, or maybe you're not refreshing a variable properly (literally dragging your player through the platform). Another possibility is that you're not resetting gravity. Normally we set it so if he's standing on an obstacle, the downward pull of gravity is set to 0. If that's not being done when he's on a platform, the downward pull will build up, becoming so great that your colision detection can't cope, and he'll fire through the floor.

Hopefully someone who's not at work can look at your code and decypher exactly what it is, but I hope this helps

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you both for your vivid assistance!

The stuff you pointed out actually helped me better understand the basic logic behind custom platform movement. One week of hard labour is behind me and I managed to create a really nice, smooth and so far flawless engine, incorporating all the movement features I desired. It really feels like Turrican 2. However, I'm still having issues with that tricky elevator -.- The engine works perfectly as long as it moves by one pixel per frame. But as soon as I'm setting it faster the old issues arise. There must be something horrible wrong about the collision detection between player sprite and elevator (although I really don't see what), but I guess getting gravity and an elevator to work together flawlessly is never easy.

I'd be happy about any productive input

So long...

Love and peace X

mrleeman

XeNoMoRpH

Hey! This is my first post too WOW!!!!

Im making tribute to SUPER TURRICAN for the nes, and maybe turrican 2 at somepoint, but i'm fine with platform character movement, I just need help with enemy AI, Could anyone help? I need an ai for an enemy that will follow the character horizontaly and falls off of platforms when the character does, can anyone give me a good AI chase Algorithm? the link on the clickteam website is broken