Thread: Newbie Help: Platform Movement Object animations

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie Help: Platform Movement Object animations

Hi all,

I just recently bought MMF2, and I've been testing it out with simple platform movements and animations. I am using the Platform Movement extension, and I am encountering problems with some of the animations:

1. When my sprite is jumping in the air and I tap the key for the opposite direction from which it is facing, it turns around briefly for a frame or two then turns back to its original direction. I cannot make it keep that new direction.

2. When jumping left or right and I release the movement keys while the sprite is in mid-air, it slides a bit after hitting the ground. The problem is that the falling animation continues even after hitting the ground until the sprite comes to a complete stop.

I've tried resolving these issues with additional events, but they do not work! I have some prior experience with programming so I know the basics of the logics of programming, but I cannot figure these issues out with my little knowledge of MMF2 and would like some help!

Thank you!

Here is my source file:
    http://www.clickteam.com/epicenter/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=76403#Post76403

PS: I am testing out the platform using Kirby...I hope it is not copyright infringement; I am just using the sprites as a placeholder to learn the basics of MMF2 and do not plan to use it for anything beyond self-learning!

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Newbie Help: Platform Movement Object animatio

Also, can anyone tell me how to make my username qxrt come up instead of my name? I see no option in My Preferences or My Profile to change that.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First of all, he slide because you have the decelaration option so that he has to slow down gradually. Use events to set decelaration to 100 when he's in the air and when he lands put decelaration back to normal.

About the directions, when the user presses the right arrow, set a flag inside the object to on, and off for left. Now, make events for that when the flag is on, set direction to right, and when the flag if off, set direction to left.

Hope I helped, LB.
    Working as fast as I can on Fusion 3

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The platform movement object is really useful and nearly unlimited in flexibility. Trust me, its worth figuring out. I suggest not animating the active that you have the platform movement assigned to. I suggest you make the active it's applied to a nice clean rectangle the size of your character. then have the character animations in a second active object that is programmed to always be in the same position as the actual assigned active. Then trigger specific animations on the second active based on what the character is doing. Like, when you make the active jump, make the animated active play the jump animation. and so forth. This way, you get really clean collision interactions with the background (based ona clean rectangle) and you have total control of when animations occur.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks to both of you! I have actually seen those ideas incorporated in other engines but wondered why...I will try them out!

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HolyMonkey
    The platform movement object is really useful and nearly unlimited in flexibility.
    I completely agree. I did all my platformers with it so far, and without hassle. Forum users use to say to build your own custom platform engine, but PMO is so easy tu use. The only thing I wasn't able to do is elevator (vertical moving platforms).

I'm also using an active for collisions only. And another active for the animations. Works like a charm.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The platform movement is great for beginners who wants a single-object platform movement, but elsewise it's a pain in the neck.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, MechaBowser, after the initial learning curve of a day or two, there's absolutely nothing I've seen in a professional platformer (Mario, Castlevania,Metroid) that I have not been able to reproduce (with just as professional results)with ease using the platform movement object.

There was that limit that you needed one Platform movement object per object you wanted to control, but aparetnly thats no longer the case. (haven't been able to test that yet)

It's amazing how diferent a persons perspective can be...

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about this. The site is in French but the example isn't.

http://www.xenon3000.info/index.php?pagename=article&id=5

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish I had the time to make a better, more thorough demo than that one...its limmited and slightly sloppy (why's the character getting stuck on the walls if you jump and hold the toward the wall?)

also, with the platform movement object, things like wind, ice, double jumps, super jumps and bouncing off of walls is really really easy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast