User Tag List

Thread: Movie files included in the exe file?

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Movie files included in the exe file?

Hi I was wondering if there is a way to include a video file inside the exe file so I dont need a seperate folder to link the movie to.

And then I was wondering if there is an plugin or something alowing me to use DivX files instead of the ones I can use now.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Movie files included in the exe file?

to use divx the user running it needs the divx codec installed unless you use something like VLC's activeX.
    To include videos, you put them in the binary storage data (right click on the application on the left toolbar and click data files)

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, but it wont work. I dont know if it cant be located or something. It only gives me an error or something. Is there a special way to link them from that place?

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    279 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

What object do you use to play the video? Some objects don't support embedded files. The Clickteam objects (Direct Show, AVI, QuickTime) support them.

If you use an object that supports embedded files, do this :

1. Put your movie into the directory of the MFA file or to a sub-directory.

2. Add it to the Binary tab of the Data Elements editor of MMF2.

3. If the filename is used in expressions in the events, make sure you use Apppath$ + "yourvideo.avi" (or Apppath$ + "subdir\yourvideo.avi" if it's in a sub-directory.

4. If the filename is used in object properties, make sure the filename is the full pathname.

5. Build your EXE file in the same directory as the MFA file.

Note: the video file will be embedded into the EXE file, but unlike other types of tiles it won't be played directly from the EXE file, it will be extracted to a temporary directory when the EXE needs to play it.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yves, may I ask what the difference is between storing a file in the Binary Data and in the External Files?

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    279 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

If you select the "Include external files" option, all the files are extracted to a temp directory when the application starts.

If you add the individual files to the Binary Data tab, usually the files are not extracted to the temp directory, they are read directly from the EXE. Except for video files, that still are extracted to the temp folder (the difference is this case is that they are extracted only when they are displayed).

Also the "Include external files" option only includes the files it knows, it doesn't allow you to include files loaded with expressions in the event editor.

PS: I think both options are mutually exclusive, i.e. you cannot use the "Include external files" option if you use embedded files in the Binary Data tab.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thanks for the info Yves. If I understand correctly, in my app everytime I wish to use a file from the Binary Data, I must call it via the file selector. I can't call that file via the expression editor with BinFileTempName$(). But what is that expression used for then?

Another question. Is there a way to get a list of third-party extensions that are Binary Data compliant?

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    279 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

If I understand correctly, in my app everytime I wish to use a file from the Binary Data, I must call it via the file selector.
    No, you can also use a normal expression like Apppath$ + "filename.xxx".

I can't call that file via the expression editor with BinFileTempName$().
    Why? You can use this expression too, if you manually extract a file from the EXE with the new functions (I forgot to mention it, sorry).

Is there a way to get a list of third-party extensions that are Binary Data compliant?
    As far as I know all the Clickteam extensions plus 3rd party extensions that use the LoadImage function provided in the SDK (Lens, Text Blitter, Mode7Ex, Background Images, Overlay, and maybe others). I don't know if other extensions use this feature.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thank you Yves. As for the other extensions I will ask each developer.