Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question about INI

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question about INI

Hi everyone, I just had a quick question about INI's. Say that my INI's path was to a custom folder I created in Program Files. If somebody else were to install my game on their computer, would the INI automatically create a folder with the same name so that it could go to the correct destination? Just a quick thought. Any info would help. Thanks.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Question about INI

No, however you could use the file folder object to create the folder then use the ini after.

Keep in mind not all program files path's are the same some may not even my on C: drive, i would use the YASO object which allows you to retrieve the program files path eg. C:\Program Files

Hope that helps, and Good Luck.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, don't write to "Program Files" or only "Administrators" will be able to run your program. Store settings in "Application Data" instead.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of my older games don't work anymore because I made them save files to C: root directory and Vista doesn't allow that anymore.

I use an expression that always saves to the games directory, wherever it may be, and it's always worked so far. Just type appdrive$+appdir$+"filename.txt" as the save directory (click on the expression button first).

Even this may be an outdated way of doing it, but it's worked for me so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Writing to the Application's directory has been bad practice since at least Windows XP, which is from 2002. An ordinary "User" can't use programs that write to the program's directory if it was installed to "Program Files".

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ini++ will automatically create directories. (Unless you tell it not to, but by default it will)

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I have yet to try them, but maybe is there a way for the application to find whatever directory program files is in, and create the folder in there with the name of my game or something? You know how if you install any game on your computer a folder gets created in Program files that have all the game's data. But that way the folder would be created and the INI could save properly. Maybe is there a way to do this when you set up your game as an installation program and that window comes up that lets you edit your installation program? I have no clue but later today I'll try everyone's suggestions. Thanks again.

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where's DragonGuy???? this post is suited for him LOL

I use appdir$ with my folders appended onto it for all my external files. It makes it a tidier install.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is there a folder called application data?

I do not see that on any box I have access to

Have I not had an issue with this because I am "administrator" on all my boxes? (my own programs often wind up in c:\daves program files which does not have the restriction either I guess, but I use appPath$+(whatever) and it always worked

Does XP really enforce that rule? does vista?

You can't just use the root either?

Dang

Dave

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast