Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: AI - Basic Principles

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: AI - Basic Principles

To pair your detectors with sprites, make sure there's the same number of detectors as sprites, then do this:

ALWAYS
    --- Detector: Set position to (0,0) from Sprite

MMF automatically pairs the objects. Think of MMF like a giant object database (which it is pretty much, with conditions acting like a query). Multiple object types will line up in 'rows' inside MMF's logic, so if you have the same number of objects of each type, they'll all follow each other.

This is actually how Spread Value itself works.

If you want to transfer data between these objects (the sprite and detector), try keeping the same alterable values in each.

Then transfer them across using always commands, e.g.

ALWAYS
    --- Sprite: Set 'Some Value' to 'SomeValue("DETECTOR")'

and so on for each value you want them to share. This makes sure your Sprite always carries with it the same info that the detector carries, so it can then do tests based on its own vars, rather than having to keep asking the detector what's going on.

It'll preserve your object pairing as a matter of course, thanks to the 'row' effect mentioned above, and it's pretty darned quick too

As an interesting note too:

If you have 2 of object A, and 10 of object B, and you tell B to follow A (i.e. the many must follow the few), then...

...Both A objects will have 5 B objects following them. Interesting, nÚ?

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still can't get this for some reason, but I don't want to dirty up the article thread with my stupidity, so if you want to take a peek I've outlined what I have in my scene over here -
    http://www.clickteam.com/epicenter/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=91652#Post91652
    which is the original thread I opened on the topic before someone linked me to this (great) article.

As for ObjB->ObjA comment at the end, that is really interesting. Are you saying it automatically divvies up the appropriate amount of following objects for each leading object so the total number on each are equal? Maybe I'm misunderstanding. What happens when you have 9 of ObjB under the same scenario?

Thank you for your reply! I appreciate how much time people take to help on this forum. I really find the resources included with the editor lacking in clarity and description sometimes.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you deal with adding and removing objects that are paired at runtime? In my case it usually messed up at that point, so I fell back to loops.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can still use fast loops to add/delete/re-pair objects as that shouldn't cause any slow down at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, one obvious downer with this system is that it eats into your 26 alterable values and however many strings VERY quickly. So in trying to avoid fastloops, your alt vals are suffering.

Usually, I determine the sprite's action inside an 'Action' string, and just share it across using ALWAYS.

So then you can do:

SPRITE: 'Action' = "DIE"
    DETECTOR: 'Action' = "DIE"
    --- Sprite: Destroy
    --- Detector: Destroy

Something like that.

----

Artician: You're correct, with a many-to-few situation (10 B's follow 2 A's), it would try and divide the many up so that the same number follow each one of A. It's best if we illustrate it with ducks.

So for 100 Ducklings and 5 Ducks, it would make it so that each Duck had 20 Ducklings following it.

If you had a number that didn't properly divide (like 9 Ducklings and 2 Ducks), then I think you'd get 5 Ducklings following one Duck, and only FOUR Ducklings following the other.

I'd have to experiment with it some more

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why don't you like fastloops? They're sometimes, well, fast. Don't avoid them. Good article anyways.
    __________________________________________________ __________________

Fastloops are your friend

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not that I don't like them, it's just that they're not the fastest loop out there.

I mean, if someone invented a 'Super-fastloop' object which could go a hundred times faster, would you blame me for raving about that new object?

In this case, simply using object selection is that kind of super fastloop. It's fastloop on steroids.

For instance, you can process 500 objects in an ALWAYS event and still maintain the 50fps standard rate. Try the same process as a fastloop, and your game will run like a pensioner.

What I've found is that (in my experience) most people use fastloop where they don't need to, and their framerate suffers the consequences.

It doesn't mean it serves no purpose - I use F/L for line of sight, obstacle detection, file reading and writing, and of course many application processes which require repetition of a certain function, re-testing of conditions, etc.

But my point is: Try and avoid using fastloop for simply iterating multiple objects. MMF already comes with a much more efficient system, and in many cases you can adjust a process so that it uses object selection rather than requiring the old 'spread value and loop' procedure.

Even if doing it by object selection makes the process apparently LESS efficient, it's just so quick that it doesn't matter. I've found that just doing an ALWAYS event for every enemy in the game world can still be faster than narrowing them down and fastlooping through just a few of them.

So yeah, try and think outside the box and avoid using fastloops when you could use action loops and object selection.

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pensioner? I run pretty fast as one.

Anyway I agree with you completely Dines.

Marv
    ​458 TGF to CTF 2.5+ Examples and games
    http://www.castles-of-britain.com/mmf2examples.htm

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dines
    In this case, simply using object selection is that kind of super fastloop. It's fastloop on steroids.
    Steroids are bad. But okay... Thanks for the tip.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2SWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For LOS: I just use a 1px object and shoot it directly at the player. If it hits, the path is clear.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast