Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [Request, possibly paid] Windows Grid Frontend

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[Request, possibly paid] Windows Grid Frontend

This is an extension request that in theory shouldn't be too hard to do (I should imagine anyway), but is immensely important.

I'd be ok to pay a modest sum towards your efforts, which would obviously need to be considered privately, but some discussion over features and feasability on this thread are quite welcome. The extension would be very useful, so it would naturally get released freely for all.

It's basically just a frontend for the windows grid-list display - the one you'll find used in almost everything, from Windows Explorer to any kind of accounts package. You'll see a perfect example if you open a folder in XP and select the 'Details' view.

It should be able to use all the main features of the windows grid-list, such as named columns, and of course the ability to click on a column to select and sort it up or down, just as with any folder (so you could arrange your data set by date, filesize, alphabetic, or any value).

It should be possible to show or hide certain columns (so if needs be you can use events to sort them using a column that isn't displayed).

It would also need to be as fast as possible in loading large data sets. Obviously you may be limited by the actual Windows code (I'm only asking for a frontend here, to give us access to this nifty Windows control), but anything you can do to give it an edge would be appreciated.

An option to have the cells set by row and column number is a must, so it can be populated within a fastloop if needs be, but also the ability to load a CSV or Tab-Delimited-File would be good.

Other non-essential but preferred features might include:

- Option to determine using events what kind of width each column will have.
    - An expression to return the row and cell number of wherever the mouse happens to be hovering at the time.
    - Option for multiselect may be useful.
    - Anything else you may think useful.

My number one reason for requesting this is that there's little standard way to display Database results in MMF. Developer has the grid object, but not being a standard window control, it lacks the intuitive harmony with other software (you get used to what you can and can't do with the win control, like sorting, etc).

I think the community would really benefit from this, and I know I certainly would.

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: [Request, possibly paid] Windows Grid Frontend

The list view object in mmf dev can do a list like that
    Jean Villy Edberg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you make a little .exe example so I can see it in action? Are you talking about an additional feature to List View object, or the Grid View object?

I've used the SQLDB DBViewer application, and assumed that that used Grid View. I wasn't overly impressed with the grid he used in that example.

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There I made an quick and simple example of it in .exe form.
    http://beagle.hihm.no/105865/example.zip

(with multi selection)
    Jean Villy Edberg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well it seems cool enough, I'll have a look at how much developer costs. But it does seem to be a display that's been coded to look like the windows control, rather than a frontend to the actual control.

I'd prefer to use the actual windows control if possible, but there we go. Little things, like how the windows control displays an arrow on the column you clicked showing the sort direction.

EDIT: LOL!! Yeah, I so hope that upgrade code was wrong. If I upgraded to developer using the code I just received, I'd be £195 lighter. That'd be one expensive grid object mate

I should think the upgrade code's wrong, as it says I'm upgrading from TGF2, but I actually have MMF2.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"But it does seem to be a display that's been coded to look like the windows control, rather than a frontend to the actual control."

No it is the proper one.

It doesn't do quite a few of the things you have mentioned though (as it doesn't by default). I have spoken to Nova about updating it at some point though.

Note that it definitely cannot handle very large amounts of data quickly. I think the general way around this is to hide the scrollbar, use your own scrollbar and just load some data into the list as it becomes nearly visible. This works quite well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...but that'll mess with sorting, unfortunately. Can it load a tab delimited list?

One option could be to generate a TDL and then load that into the object. How does that work out?

Although if there's not a better upgrade discount, I'd quite probably prefer to pay someone for creating an alternative. I can't spend nearly £200 on a higher version of MMF just so I can use one extension, lol.

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

There might be an Active X control which suits your needs, although that can potentially lead to compatibility problems..
    .:::.Joshtek.:::.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had a look but couldn't find one. There was a grid object, which would be perfect, but I can't interface with it through the actions given you in MMF.

I was hoping that an Active X/Control did exist and that it would be easier to bind it to an extension than use it directly in MMF (since MMF's interface with AXs is limited).

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dines
    I've had a look but couldn't find one. There was a grid object, which would be perfect, but I can't interface with it through the actions given you in MMF.

I was hoping that an Active X/Control did exist and that it would be easier to bind it to an extension than use it directly in MMF (since MMF's interface with AXs is limited).
    The latest build of MMF2 is better at interfacing with AXs than MMF of old, tho.
    .:::.Joshtek.:::.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast