User Tag List

Thread: Pause Screen Menu?

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pause Screen Menu?

It seems like a simple concept, but I'm not sure what the best way to do this would be.

I was thinking either:

Hitting a button jumps to the frame containing the menu. When closed, you go back to exactly where you were before. Thing is, that's a lot of stuff to save, and I don't even think that's possible... Like it has to remember which frame, locations of enemies, players, what was destroyed, etc.

All movement/actions pause, and a menu pops up, complete with buttons and things. When you close it, play continues. But then I'd have to add a condition to every single event to not happen or pause if the menu is triggered.

So if there's a way to do either of these easier/simpler/whatever, then I'd love to hear it. If anyone has any other ideas, that'd be pretty cool too. If not, I guess I'll go ahead and implement the second option.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Pause Screen Menu?

Use a sub-app set to modal, it pauses the frame underneath.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can also save the entire level state, which after build 246 is way too simple.

There are a couple of things you need to take care of though. The save frame position action cannot be present in the same frameloop as an action that quits the frame. That means you need to trigger the action, but not execute the jump to the pausemenu frame until the next frameloop.

Here's what I came up with after some tries:

You need the latest stable build, the file object extension (built in mmf2) and a counter

* Frame position has just been loaded
    - Counter: set current value to 0

* Start of frame
    + File object: apppath$+"pausefile.mfs" exists
    - Storyboard controls: load frame position apppath$+"pausefile.mfs"

* Counter: current value = 1
    - Storyboard controls: Jump to Pause Screen Frame

* Upon pressing "pause key"
    - Storyboard controls: save frame position apppath$+"pausefile.mfs"
    - Counter: set current value to 1

* End of application
    - File object: delete file apppath$+"pausefile.mfs"

You see the first event sets the counter to 0. That is because the counter's value is saved in pausefile.mfs after it was set to 1, so we need to set it back to 0.

In the second event we test if the file exists. Because if it does a pop up window appears, and we don't want that.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hm, I seem to have hit a snag after creating my menu.

See, I want to be able to actually change things around in this menu, like stats and options, etc. but after I exit the menu, it loads the file, and thus reverts any changes I made. At least, that's what I assume is happening, since any global values I changed in the menu revert to their old version.

Only way around it that I can see is to make a text file and load from that... but then that creates the obvious problem of players creating their own such files and ruining the game.

Any ideas?

Forum Moderator

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi. As Benicle suggested. Use a sub-app, and you may also want to use the AssArray. When made global you can use all information in all the frames plus the sub-app. Hope this helps.
    ​458 TGF to CTF 2.5+ Examples and games
    http://www.castles-of-britain.com/mmf2examples.htm

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah yes, that was indeed the perfect solution. It sounded simpler to do as Popcorn suggested, but not only was that not the case, but it ended up having some complications. Great suggestion, and it almost worked, but I'd like to have Vector movement (bug with the latest build) and certain things don't save when I want them too, while others load that I don't.

Didn't know you could use a frame of the current application as a sub-app, so it was much easier to implement than I thought.

Thanks everyone, my menu works great now.