User Tag List

Thread: Interfacing with Google

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interfacing with Google

Here's a question - how does one go about interfacing with the Google search engine? Do you have to pay for a license or something, there seems to be loads of info about how to use customised HTTP requests to receive XML-formatted search queries at the drop of a hat... but no comments about how you get rid of the "403 forbidden" error, lol.

So I'm assuming it's a service you gotta pay for.

What I was hoping to do was create a small game where it randomly assigns you a series of letters at the start, and you have to choose a word containing as many of those letters as possible.

Your word is scored according to its length vs its use of the letters (a short word using all letters ranks high. A long word using very few gets diluted, so ranks low). Then, your word is put into google. It gets ranked on how many times it appears on the results page, and how many pages worth of results are returned. So your ultimate score for that word is a mixture of the length/etc of the word and its popularity.

Then, you are given another set of random letters, this time selected from the page results. You must construct a word containing as many of these letters as possible, just as you did at the outset.

The objective is to keep going as long as possible, scoring as high as possible, without re-using the same words.

It has the potential to be really fun, but obviously it won't work unless I can find a decent (and ideally legal, lol) way of interfacing with google.

Thoughts?

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Interfacing with Google

Using the Sphax File-Folder object, fire the action "Use Default Web Browser". Enter the expression:

"http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=" + (Word to search)

Works for me.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately that would open the web browser and there would be no way of getting the results back.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best method I've found: using Yahoo!

Their results page is just as easy to interface with through a URL and Live Receiver, but also easy to parse as HTML (results appear as a modified ordered-list element).

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Google used to have a programming API to the web search, but alas it is discontinued.

The only way to do it now, as far as I know, would be to request the search result through a http request, as if you were a browser, and then parse the resulting html response programmatically. I can't imagine using MMF for that purpose, but the .net or lua plugin would probably be good for the job. It's quite a bit of work, though.

Be also aware that google keeps watch on repeated search requests from the same source (bot activity), and blocks them, so you can't use repeated automatic searches.

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Google are still running http://code.google.com/apis/ajaxsearch/web.html
    .:::.Joshtek.:::.