User Tag List

Thread: Global Store X- STILL screwed up >:(

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Global Store X- STILL screwed up >:(

Grrr. I can't tell you how long it took me to figure out that the old Global Store X couldn't go over 100 integers (even though it said it could). On the old one, if you went over 100, it would SAY integer 101, but really it was saving over 1. It would SAY it was saving integer 112, but really it was writing over 12. It was a huge blunder.

But since there weren't (and still aren't really) any other good extensions for integer storage, I did the best I could with it, and was happy to see that it had been fixed for MMF2.

The new Global Store X could truly store more than 100 integers!!! ........ sort of. :mad: It seems that now it only has problems when it goes over 200.

This glitch is more screwed up than the last. At least the last time it was predictable. On the computer I made my application on, it saves and reads from integers 200+, but on every other machines I try it on, it will not read or write to anything over 200, period.

And here's the kicker, even if I output an EXE, the exe will not function properly with integers 200+ on most computers. Now, first of all, it should not be possible under ANY circumstances for game mechanics to change from computer to computer. After its an exe, game code should be set in stone. That means if it worked fine on computer "A" and I output an application, that application should be engraved and sealed in blood just the way it was, regardless of what deficiencies computer "B" has.

My solution is another backdoor work around, I squeezed those last two integers under the 200 threshhold.

Here's my gripe. If Global Store-X still has a limitation of some sort, thats fine, but for Pete's sake just say it!

Does anyone have any idea why this happens?

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Global Store X- STILL screwed up >:(

Never hearded of the problem, nor can reproduce is. Could you post an example? It's just a normal array, so the only way it can happen is if you've got an array of, say size 200, and tries to access an element larger than 200, like 201. You can only access values within the size of the array..

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is the crazy thing- To test it, I made it so I could simply press a key (1) to add to integer 201, with a counter on screen showing what integer 201 equalled. If I played the level without loading the save file first, the integer works fine. However, if I load the binary save file first (by pressing my other hotkey), then integers above 200 do not work. I can press my hotkey to add to 201 and it completely ignores me. So how could loading a binary file prevent certain integers from working? And the bigger question, why would it happen on some computers and not on others?

I'm going to try to fix my application first by changing the refrences to 201 and 202 to integers lower than 200. After that, Ill post an example of the other.

I have my array size set to 225, HOWEVER, I had my array size set to 200 for a while before I needed more numbers. I only changed it to a number higher than 200 a few weeks ago. That may have something to do with it.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Set a counter to the size of the array before and after loading the file. It might be that you've saved an array of size 200 some time before, because when you load from a file, the array becomes the size of the array in the file loaded.