User Tag List

Thread: [Request] Red-black tree extension

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[Request] Red-black tree extension

Hi, I am looking for a way of storing a large number of string values in a dictionary and I am looking for the most efficient method of searching the dictionary for a particular string. I think the implementation of a red-black tree would be the most efficient method, but as I don't code c++ I can't write it myself. A dictionary generally tends to be static so I am not concerned about the amount of computation required to add/delete items from a red-black tree. Maybe someone can find it already coded in c++ and simply implement it?

Thanks, ~Matt

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: [Request] Red-black tree extension

I recall from our algorithm and data structures course that red-black trees is a pain to implement properly.

Besides, for most things a binary search is sufficient as you get O(log n) lookup time. Red-black trees are mainly used for inserting a lot of elements and keeping the tree balanced which you said wasn't really a priority.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: [Request] Red-black tree extension

Well the idea is that the red-black tree implementation will be used to form a balanced tree in the first place. Yes in the general case you have O(log n) complexity with a standard binary tree, but in the case you added those items in alphabetical order you can manage to form an all-left binary tree or an all-right binary tree, hence the complexity of that given situation is equivalent to a linear search i.e. O(n). The red-black tree keeps things balanced on both sides, and although initially forming that tree is costly, it doesn't matter because you don't intend to make frequent modifications to the tree structure. It's forming that tree structure in the first place which is important.

[Edit]
    Well thinking about it, a binary search would be fine. (If the data is already sorted anyway.) So perhaps someone can make an extension to do such a thing?