User Tag List

Thread: Custom Movement problem (Horizontal movement)

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Custom Movement problem (Horizontal movement)

I followed a tutorial for custom movement. Works quite well. However, whenever I move the character around, he gets caught on the sides of tiles, either moving extremely slow down them or outright stopping. Furthermore, when trying to test with a brand new object inserted in as a default object, it causes everything to be erased in actual game, though not in the frame editor. Any thoughts? If I'm to upload it somewhere, just give the word and I'll sendspace it.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Custom Movement problem (Horizontal movement)

Eh.
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/9163rs
    It's the first frame in which I was experimenting with movement. He simply catches on to the sides of other blocks. Space is jump. Arrow keys move.

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could you re-describe what the problems are?

I have had a quick look, and there seem to be a couple of immediate problems on the first frame - you're using a player sprite directly rather than a rectangular collision box, which may make testing for collisions with the background erratic. You can do this, but make sure "Use fine detection" on that object is set to off so that the collision box is rectangular.

It also looks like your detector object sits at the bottom of the player object, rather than directly below it - this means that it won't overlap your platforms and detect for being able to jump correctly.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, nice to know that there's an option for that. Fine detection is turned off.

Also, despite the detector being where it is, jumping still works just fine.

The problem is that when he is touching the side of a wall, holding against it, he completely stops. He is unable to jump, and if falling, will simply be held there unless the player lets or or moves away from it. I don't like the idea of him catching on to the sides of walls is all, really.

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah - you have "Set Grav to 0" on the event where you move the player back if he's moved into a wall during the fastloop. (The last one.) That shouldn't be there - it was probably a copy and paste mistake.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, if I'll be a monkey's uncle.

Wait,I already am, with how my nephew acts! Haha!

I'm guessing that the tutorial I've been using may be outdated. Thank you, sir. Now that this is all sorted out, I've got to test out the rest of the movements.

I can figure out how to get animations, but I've multiple versions of this character in the game. Boxman's character-specific power is the power to duck, and as thus, move through tight spaces. However, methinks that letting go of the down button in a tight space would result in the character glitching into the roof of the tight space. Is there a tutorial for crouching and preventing that sort of thing?