User Tag List

Thread: Path Generator for a Fire Emblem style game

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Path Generator for a Fire Emblem style game

This example does not feature the player's actual movement, it just generates squares that the player could potentially move to. This can be used in conjunction with the Path Finding Object.

Click on the player square in the middle to generate the movement grid. Right click to reset it.

Click anywhere in the area to generate an obstacle. Right click an obstacle to remove it.

The big problem I have with this is that as the grid is being generated, it really hurts the framerate. There seems to be too many calculations going on too quickly. Does anyone have any idea how I could get this same effect with more efficient coding perhaps?
    Attached files Attached files

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Path Generator for a Fire Emblem style game

wow, that kicks major ass man. But how would that effect the program if i were to change the size of the squares?

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a pretty good shot at this. i found plenty of other ways, but there all similar speeds.

That said the actual loss is about 3-5 frames for about 1 second, I'm sure with machine independent speed and maybe a sound playing to draw your attention no one will notice :grin:

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah i tried doing this type of engine many times before and it isn't easy... though i tried getting away with using only one active object for the squares instead of a separate duplicate for each "generation", since it would allow for arbitrary ranges

this was my last attempt but obviously it still didn't work out that well

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ZayLong, if you want to change the size of the squares, you'll need to go through some of the events and change the distances at which the squares generate themselves from each other.

SEELE, I think the loss is a lot more when you've got lots of other stuff going on at the same time. I know its only a brief framerate drop but it's really annoying and unneat!

xyzzy, That looks quite interesting, I don't suppose you could post the file up for that?

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sure

keep in mind it's far from being efficient despite it not even being 100% accurate

engine

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could always remove the fastloop?...

Just allow it to happen in real time or only partial fastloop if you do it nicely it will look as if you were just animating it?

Or if you really must have it happen all at once and really fast; use the advanced path finding object. will work super quick but there are some downsides to that object.