User Tag List

Thread: Importing animation from Photoshop to MMF2

Tyson

Importing animation from Photoshop to MMF2

I am trying to import my own animation from Photoshop to MMF2 and i cannot get it to work. The first frame works but the rest of the frames the transparencies and the color are off and the background information is all lost.

RayMarble

Re: Importing animation from Photoshop to MMF2

"The first frame works"
    Photoshop is not an animation software - are you trying to export an animated gif from there? If so, Photoshop will load only the first frame. Also, in MMF make surte you imported the whole animation, not only the first picture (during the import, check the "import animation" checkbox). In case you have the animation broken in a series of frames, maybe it'd help if you glued them together before importing?

"the transparencies"
    Do you see the chequered background when you open the image in Photoshop? Try "Save for Web", you'll have a "transparency" checkbox there. Or maybe you didn't define the transparency in MMF?... it's impossible to tell.

"and the color are off"
    Maybe you saved the picture with the lowest number of indexed colours needed? I was told that, for reasons completely beyond my understanding and contrary to what one would expect from such a software, TGF (and I suppose MMF too) sometimes can't show pictures that are less than 8-bit (so if your picture uses 128 colours, it won't show properly). Don't know if it holds true in your case though.

Can you upload your picture somewhere, it'd be easier to take a look.

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tyson: I get the exact same problem. It has made me resort to copy/pasting the frames from Photoshop to MMF one frame at a time. I sent a GIF with the problem to the MMF team a while ago and I beleive it has been addressed in the new beta. But since I haven't tried the beta yet, I don't know if it is still a problem.

You can also try setting the background of your frames to black and selecting "Make Frames from Layers" in the animation timeline editor menu. Then go to File->Scripts->Export Layers to Files which will make a file for each layer you have. If you number the files properly, you can import them into MMF as an animation and set the transparent color to black.

If you find a better work around, please let me know.

Mobichan

PS. If there is a need to use 256 colors, can someone please confirm this? And please explain why such a limit would exit? :confused:

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    262 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I sent a GIF with the problem to the MMF team a while ago and I beleive it has been addressed in the new beta.
    Yes, we have fixed transparency issues in GIF animations in the build 248.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RayMarble
    "The first frame works"
    Photoshop is not an animation software...
    Sorry to burst your bubble but Photoshop has full support for creating animated images, including an animation timeline, onion skinning and many other animation tools...

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think he meant you can't open GIFs in PS and still retain all their frames. In CS2, you need to use Imageready. In CS3, you need Fireworks. Kinda dumb, but that is why I didn't uninstall Imageready :P

Yves: The problem that Tyson first mentioned has 2 problems: transparency color and image frame data. The frames (except the first frame) sometimes contain partial data, so they appear cropped down to a small part of the original image. Were you ever able to reproduce this problem as well? I just wanted to confirm it is fixed.

Mobichan

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    262 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Hmm... yes I think it was fixed, but you should install the latest beta version and test it yourself.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You CAN open animated Gifs in Photoshop and view all the frames if you turn on the animation window...

RayMarble

No problem dude, there wasn't any bubble to be burst anyway. I just assumed it was an older version of Photoshop - nevermind me.

Here's a confirmation that less than 256 colors are not welcome (the thread was about something else addmittedly):
    http://www.clickteam.com/epicenter/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=86601#Post86601

"This is not an issue with the ActivePicture object, but with the TGF2/MMF2 graphic filters : they don't support 16-color files."

Maybe it's just a bad day and I'm reading it wrongly, but the bold part seems pretty clear...

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    262 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I'm not sure this limitation applies to GIF images. 16-color BMP files are not supported, but I think GIF images with less than 256 colors are supported, theoretically they are just converted to 256 colors.