User Tag List

Thread: Getting objects/sprites off big sheets.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting objects/sprites off big sheets.

I have some sprites from Ari Feldman, and I am trying to put some in a new game I am trying. The sprites are on big sheets ( a lot of different sprites on the same sheet), and I DO NOT KNOW HOW to get ONE of them off the sheet. Anybody know how? Tell me.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Getting objects/sprites off big sheets.

Sheet as in a real paper or a computer file? If it's the former then well obiously you'll have to scan them.

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If in the form of computer sprites, you can also use a paint program to import the sprite sheet and use cut and paste into your mmf program.
    ​458 TGF to CTF 2.5+ Examples and games
    http://www.castles-of-britain.com/mmf2examples.htm

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its really easy,

all youve got to do is go into the editor of the Active Object,

in the corner there should be a picture of a folder, that is Import, click it.

then locate the file of the sprite sheet.

then once you have that selected, hit the Import Selection option. then click select thats right next to it. now all youve got to do is draw a selection box around the sprites you want imported, and hit ok, presto.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, I will tyry that method. They are computer sprites. It sounds like a reasonable way to get there. Old age is not for sissies, and I am an exdample of that. A sissie. Dumb one too.

I can fky over 50 types of airplanes, so I am only stupid at some things.

Thanks again.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, you're not that old. I'm just in my 20s, but even I've heard of a sprite sheet before - enough to understand that you clearly weren't talking about a physical piece of paper. haha ^_^

I don't think sprite sheets are used as much today, but there is one freeware indy game that I love, which does use them: Super Mario War
    http://smw.72dpiarmy.com/

It's not open-source, nor was it made with MMF, but it does let you change all the graphics and make your own levels. Lots of fun, really.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2SWF Export Module

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as ZayLong pointed out, MMF has a nice import feature where you can select each frame and put it into an animation. Also, if you are using sprite sheets for background tiles or something, and have a very advanced knowledge of programming, the text blitter object makes an excellent way to display tilebased sprites ripped directly from a sheet at runtime

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The sprite sheet concept is still used in the 3D world. I have trueSpace and we use the same concept. The face is one image the arm and legs are different and so on. With these though we use a type of slide tool to move the image around on the 3D object to line up the leg with the leg, the arm with the arm and so on.

Good to see you around OldGuy!

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sprite sheets are still used a lot actually, I've just finished animating for two games that require sprite sheets for animation of 30 - 120 frames per anim.
    And use them for my own 2d game projects as well.

I'm actually surprised to read that mmf doesn't have a sprite importer that automatically divides a sprite sheet up into equal sections, it's far quicker than cut/pasting each animation at a time.

RayMarble

"I'm actually surprised to read that mmf doesn't have a sprite importer that automatically divides a sprite sheet up into equal sections, it's far quicker than cut/pasting each animation at a time."

There's something similar, "Box mode" - Help claims it's even better since you can even define hotspots/action points in the spritesheet.

Never tested it myself but have the feeling just a plain importer would be even more useful.