User Tag List

Thread: Data storage

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Data storage

I'm trying to make an rpg sortof. To do this effectively i need an array to store the data of every attack in the game. This array is imported from another application which i'm working on which will be an editor for making the attacks in. This way i will not have to hardcode the attacks into the game.

The simple explanation is that the attack data is stored in an array with one "row" per attack. The array, which is a Dynamic Array (great extension btw!) contains a list of the attack NAMES in the first column and then power of the attack and so on in the next column and so on and so on...

The problem comes when it gets to one of the finer details of this battle system. It needs the attacks to have tags. To make it simple, every attack has a list of 20-30 different flags (the exact amount is unknown and subject to change) that can be on or off. (this is the primary reason why i'm making an external editor)

Now the problem here is that the dynamic array has entries for integers and strings, but it has none for binary data and it feels like i'm SOMEHOW wasting memory by using integers to store only ones and zeroes. I really don't know how big the attack list is going to be in the end, but the entirety of the array must be loaded during battle so... Any suggestions? Are my worries exaggerated?

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Data storage

If you need tags (keys), investigate AssArray. You can download it over there --> in Neatwares
    ​458 TGF to CTF 2.5+ Examples and games
    http://www.castles-of-britain.com/mmf2examples.htm

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're misunderstanding me. Each attack is supposed to have a list of binary on-off switches. The problem is there are going to be about 30 flags per attack total, meaning that if i use a normal dynamic array i'll be using integers to store single bit data, which is a waste of space...

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe this will shed some light on the issue:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/KGanryuS/demopic.jpg

That's a screenshot of the work-in-progress Attack Editor. As you can see there's a bunch of icons at the bottom. The number after Attack_ID indicates which attack is currently being edited. The icons at the bottom indicate which flags have been set for that particular attack. For example one flag could indicate that an ability is ranged, and one that it is of magical nature.

The problem is i'm not sure how much capacity is being wasted by basically storing these icons as ones and twos in the array. It feels wasteful, sortof...

Edit: The icons are made by a japanese sprite artist and are freeware

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.clickteam.com/epicenter/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=77771

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i wouldn't worry too much about the size, given how large RAM/hard drives are nowadays

you should be able to use MMF's bitwise functions to store up to 32 flags in one integer (since MMF uses 32-bit ones)

EDIT:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beat you to it

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh gawd! Thanks! Awesome :3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would like to see grouping features in MMf2 myself, that way we could make our own menus with any controls needed and then just hide them all and use them for data storage without setting up hide events and also use multiple ones with ease without having hundreds of single objects to check/order. This would be simpler to do if the folder system would be more user friendly also but it seems limited at the moment i think.