User Tag List

Thread: Server Permission Problem Saving INI File

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Server Permission Problem Saving INI File

I've posted before about problems I've had running applications on my school server that use INI files to save information. The application is stored and run from a drive (Ton the server. When run, the application uses an INI file to store the names of student teams. If left to it's own devices, the INI file will be stored in the C:\windows directory. The desktops in our school run the application over the server with no problems. But the laptops will either crash the application or just not be able to save the team names and leave those places in the screens blank. The problem can be solved if students are given permissions to access the INI file names in the C:\windodws directory, but that does not make your tech department happy.

I'll describe my "solution", which was based on a number of responses to my previous posts, and then I have a few questions. Thanks to all who contributed to those replies.

First I created a directory called "categories" using the file object and the Application Data Directory option. Then at the start of any frame that contains the INI objects, I set the current INI file name to the Application Data Directory + INI file name.

I've tested this on one laptop at school and it does not work with the old version that saved to C:\windows but does work with the new version as described. They are running Windows XP Pro.

Now the questions. I do have this application for sale and have had a buyer run into this problem, so I am, of course interested in making sure that it is totally solved.

1) Is there another file location other than the Application Data Directory that would be better to use? Like Users Directory, All Users Directory, etc.
    2) Will this set up work with Windows Vista? I just don't have a Vista server to test it on, so anybody's experience or opinion would be helpful.
    3) The application is installed using Install Creator Pro. Is there any special settings when I create the install to make this work properly, especially in Windows Vista.

So, hopefully this will help others who may be facing this problem and any feedback would be appreciated.

Steve

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Server Permission Problem Saving INI File

1) The application data folder is where you are supposed to save per-user settings according to official Microsoft guidelines.
    2) Yes, see 1.
    3) No, I don't think so.

EDIT: If you need defaults for your settings, put an ini in your install directory with them in, and copy it to the appdata directory if you don't find one there already.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Dynasoft. That was what I was hoping to hear.
    Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some more questions in this area. My understanding is that Win XP in a limited account and Win Vista will not allow an application to write a file to any folder in the c:\program files directory and subdirectories including the application directory. Is this correct?

Does this mean that it's safer to have your application installed in a folder not in the program files directory?

This could lead to applicatins crashing or not working when an object or extension needs to write a file to disk.

Are there other objects that need to write a file in order to store data or operate? The one that comes to mind is the array object - does it write a file to store data somewhere every time it is in a frame?

Another example is the screen capture object. I use it to capture the screen and then allow the user to screen capture a part of it. It saves the original screen capture to a file in the applicatin directory unless directed otherwise. But this file can be redirected elsewhere.

I'm trying to make sure that my applications will work under these conditions. Again, thanks for any input.

Steve

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You should install to the program files directory, it's what it's there for. You should try to save all settings into the app data folder and all documents into their documents folder, pictures into pictures etc.
    Array doesn't save unless you tell it to.