Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Making Fighting Games

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Making Fighting Games

Well I know how to add figures and everything but I have many questions that needs answers. This is for Multimedia Fusion 2 and The Factory Games 2 programs by the way.

How do I make a simple arena without the characters falling off of the edge or through the floor?

How would I make character intros in the first frame of a battle(if it's possible)?

How do I make the game sorta scroll in the direction your character is going in?

How would you make a character jump and land?

How would you make a character crouch?

How would you make a string of commands for certain characters?

How would you make a character do a combo attack when you put in a combo string of commands?

How would you make a character attack?

How would you make a special attack from afar land on the opponent?

How would you make some content thats unlockable, be unlocked from a certain goal being met?

How would you make the game special controls for certain things work nicely?

How would you have a character(such as Super Smash Bros) pick up an item and use it?

How about throwing the items?

How would I make an explosive item explode on impact?

How would I make an item?

How will I do all of this fighting stuff in one frame?

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Making Fighting Games

How about you try something easier first?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sadly, if you have to ask a lot of these questions, you probably need to make a few simpler games in MMF2 before you tackle a fighting game. Once you understand some basics of using MMF2, I think you will be able to answer a few of your own questions.

My advice is to try following the tutorial included with MMF2 and then experiment making something small, like a game that is based around one of your questions (make a game about a character that just punches, for instance). If you try to handle all of your questions on your first game, you will most likely get frustrated at the amount of coding you will have to do in order to make a decent fighting game.

To give you an example, I have only used MMF2 for a year and a half and have only made 4 or 5 games with it. I started working on a beatem up game (like Final Fight/Double Dragon) 5 days ago and I have only gotten the player's movements and attacks working. And that doesn't include any sort of hitbox or collision system. My point is: it takes a while to work through each part of a game. And each of your questions is a separate challenge in itself.

Good luck,

Mobichan

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Curry
    Well I know how to add figures and everything but I have many questions that needs answers. This is for Multimedia Fusion 2 and The Factory Games 2 programs by the way.

How do I make a simple arena without the characters falling off of the edge or through the floor?

How would I make character intros in the first frame of a battle(if it's possible)?

How do I make the game sorta scroll in the direction your character is going in?

How would you make a character jump and land?

How would you make a character crouch?

How would you make a string of commands for certain characters?

How would you make a character do a combo attack when you put in a combo string of commands?

How would you make a character attack?

How would you make a special attack from afar land on the opponent?

How would you make some content thats unlockable, be unlocked from a certain goal being met?

How would you make the game special controls for certain things work nicely?

How would you have a character(such as Super Smash Bros) pick up an item and use it?

How about throwing the items?

How would I make an explosive item explode on impact?

How would I make an item?

How will I do all of this fighting stuff in one frame?
    Or did you mean:

"Make this game for me"

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zenoff64
    Or did you mean:

"Make this game for me"
    Well, no... Lol, it's just that I'm just, new to this kind of stuff and I just need quite a bit of help, lol.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mobichan
    Sadly, if you have to ask a lot of these questions, you probably need to make a few simpler games in MMF2 before you tackle a fighting game. Once you understand some basics of using MMF2, I think you will be able to answer a few of your own questions.

My advice is to try following the tutorial included with MMF2 and then experiment making something small, like a game that is based around one of your questions (make a game about a character that just punches, for instance). If you try to handle all of your questions on your first game, you will most likely get frustrated at the amount of coding you will have to do in order to make a decent fighting game.

To give you an example, I have only used MMF2 for a year and a half and have only made 4 or 5 games with it. I started working on a beatem up game (like Final Fight/Double Dragon) 5 days ago and I have only gotten the player's movements and attacks working. And that doesn't include any sort of hitbox or collision system. My point is: it takes a while to work through each part of a game. And each of your questions is a separate challenge in itself.

Good luck,

Mobichan
    Wow, then I guess I have alot of challenges, lol.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Random
    How about you try something easier first?
    What game type would you consider?

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think easiest is some sort of breakout / pong-like game.

Then maybe a top-down shooter or sidescrolling shooter? If you don't raise your bar too high, a platform game should be possible then too..

You should definitely do some of the tutorials here. I don't want to advertise my own tutorial on that list (Bermuda Triangle Tutorial) but (oh dang, too late :P) I think it can get you started making a game and getting an idea about how stuff works in MMF. I also recommend the 2 Player Pong tutorial, best before attempting one that is more tricky.

Ooh. It would be nice if there was a note how hard each tutorial is on that list. Hope Jeff is reading this :grin:

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks random, that will help tremendously!

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What helped me alot was to use a tutorial, like DavidN's Custom Platform Movement, and tweak it to death over and over again until I know what every line of code is, then edit and add stuff over it to make it into the game I want it to be.

Making games takes lots of time, effort, and discovery with codes. If you try to make a multiplayer fighting game with use of items and unlockable content, you'll most likely get pissed and throw it away and forget about it. If you REALLY want to do something like this, I suggest you write your ideas down and make the game when you feel skilled enough (and if I made you cry, sorry).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast