Page 13 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: XLua extention beta

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2SWF Export Module

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: XLua extention beta

Very good piece of advice astro! I've been using a system that pretty much prevents the game ever calling imported objects just in a logical manner, but in things like buffer overflows its crashes, or if it ever got desynced by an object getting deleted but not removed. So I will definitely implement that deleteobject code just as a failsafe!

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was some debate about this a few pages back actually about what happens to destroyed objects, and it was suggested that the headerObject struct might be maintained, but apparently it's not. That would also mean that the LPRO_IsDestroyed function in rSDK is also not correct either.

Right now I don't know of any good way to tell whether an object is still alive or not, so you have to be a bit more paternalistic in your object management if you want to safely use the Object functions. Of course xyzzy's suggestion would solve a lot of problems, too bad it doesn't exist right now.

Thanks for pointing it out anyway though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

crap. I had actually ALREADY done exactly that in my code O_o
    nevermind!

sigh I havent programmed a thing in like half a year, i'm getting rusty

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Retriever2
    There was some debate about this a few pages back actually about what happens to destroyed objects, and it was suggested that the headerObject struct might be maintained, but apparently it's not. That would also mean that the LPRO_IsDestroyed function in rSDK is also not correct either.

Right now I don't know of any good way to tell whether an object is still alive or not, so you have to be a bit more paternalistic in your object management if you want to safely use the Object functions. Of course xyzzy's suggestion would solve a lot of problems, too bad it doesn't exist right now.

Thanks for pointing it out anyway though.
    The headerobject struct is maintained until the end of the current tick, it's still valid in your extension's HandleRunObject function, so you can use that to weed out dead objects you've got pointers to.

Alternatively store Fixed Values instead of LPROs, because those can be checked for validity on use without crashing if the object is gone.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah I've noticed that dead objects will keep around until the end of the current tick, it really makes it a pain in the arse for some "in-mmf" code that would require an object to be deleted INSTANTLY from the game, which afaik is impossible. Back when I made gridquest in TGF1, I wanted to have a frame changing code that would let me destroy all active objects, than rebuild the frame in the new level. But if I did that, I'd exceed the max objects limit (of only 256) because the deleted objects took a frame to resolve, so I had to have it delete everything 1 frame and rebuild it the next.

Wish there was an "instantly" flag for the destroy function in MMF2, but who knows what kind of trouble that could cause

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You seem know a lot more about the internal object management than me. I guess I misunderstood some of the earlier stuff. I'll look into something that sweeps out the junk.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelthief
    yeah I've noticed that dead objects will keep around until the end of the current tick, it really makes it a pain in the arse for some "in-mmf" code that would require an object to be deleted INSTANTLY from the game, which afaik is impossible. Back when I made gridquest in TGF1, I wanted to have a frame changing code that would let me destroy all active objects, than rebuild the frame in the new level. But if I did that, I'd exceed the max objects limit (of only 256) because the deleted objects took a frame to resolve, so I had to have it delete everything 1 frame and rebuild it the next.

Wish there was an "instantly" flag for the destroy function in MMF2, but who knows what kind of trouble that could cause
    yeah i'm pretty much doing the same "wait until all the objects are finished updating before actually deleting them" in my game

i dunno it just sounds like a bad idea to nuke stuff out of a table while you're in the process of iterating through it; of course it might not even have any bad effects for all i know, but whatever

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://hocuspocus.taloncrossing.com/rii/xlua-dist.zip

I think this update will handle deleted objects safely..er. I was still encountering invalid LPROs even in the HandleRunObject event each loop, so I'm trying to compare the headerObject address to the oblOffset like in the Fixed2LPRO function, but hell if I know if that's completely safe.

Also added an mmf.Object.Destroy function, and the optionally-defined mmf.DestroyCallback function. Also fixed some issues with the debugger info.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, this is a great extension. Im just wondering on the basic usage.mfa example for the paint draw is it possible to set the draw rate up for a smoother line?

Setting the mmf frame rate up really high didn't make much difference so im guessing it uses it's own rate? I couldn't find the command in help to adjust the rate however but i haven't used the lua coding much so this might be simple and be done with a different method than rate.

Maybe LUA and OpenGL should get a sub forum section each as im sure there lots of stuff they can both do and there could be coding tutorials and examples etc. I actually think that would be great just like there should be a dedicated HWA shader/effect coding and extension dev areas which will hopefully happen at some point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Framerate does affect it but there seems to be an upper bound. Clearly this isn't the right way to go about doing a paint program, but nonetheless I like how it demonstrates some Lua usage.

Page 13 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast