Thread: XLua extention beta

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: XLua extention beta

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelthief
    but I wasn't sure how stable it would be trashing an entire 45 mb table, if there were any issues.
    garbage collectors get hungry too

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im still no expert on LUA but im just wondering if xlua can run some of the external packages for the standard LUA or other apps using LUA?

For example luamidi which seems to allow midi to be sent and possibly recieved so you could make some sort of sequencer app etc. -

http://sourceforge.net/projects/luamidi/

Or another would be Gluas the gimp plug-in which has lua interpreter to make visual fx.

http://pippin.gimp.org/plug-ins/gluas/examples/

Is it possible to have these types of things running in MMF using the xlua?

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, you can use existing lua libraries, but there is one big glaring asterisk in the picture.

You must compile the library from source, and link against xlua.mfx in place of lua51.dll. I've included the necessary xlua.lib file in the zip file for you to do this. You may compile against any existing lua51 header files though, so I don't include those.

I've successfully built a compatible luasocket library, so others should also be doable.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

JUST ONE WORD

EXCELLENT!!!
    Regards,

Fernando Vivolo

... new things are coming ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool, im a bit confused still though

So i would open the luamidi source but in the source it will use a reference to lua51.dll (normal lua) and i replace that with xlua.mfx (MMF version) and then compile to a .dll and in xlua load it and i can use it's features?

Clickteam we need a dedicated LUA area!

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2SWF Export Module

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was just thinking that Atom! dotnet shouldn't hog all the fun, I can do some truly neat things in lua with its mmf interface

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelthief
    I was just thinking that Atom! dotnet shouldn't hog all the fun, I can do some truly neat things in lua with its mmf interface
    Yeah definately, theres actually a post about this here recently

http://www.clickteam.com/epicenter/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=147802#Post1478 02

Maybe if everyone posts that they want it then clickteam will make it happen. OpenGL, LUA and HWA shaders all need areas as they can do so much.

Same with Extension dev it's too compact a area, there should be split sections like help/support for questions, examples for source code or tips how do things and of course releases/betas. Im suprised these haven't happened yet to be honest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Atom, not quite. You don't have to change anything in the luamidi source code (lua or C code). But you must compile the C code according to whatever instructions they provide. However you must do it in Visual C++ 2008 [Express], which they may or may not provide a project file for (they might only provide one for GCC .. or maybe they're cruel and provide nothing).

In the project settings, there would be a place to select additional libraries to link against, and the instructions would ask you to link against lua51.lib (MSVC++) or lua51.a (GCC), but instead you would link against the xlua.lib file included in the zip file.

It's all probably confusing if you've never built stuff from source before. In the near future I'll put together some instructions for building lua libraries, as well as instructions for extension authors to build libraries that interface their extensions directly with Xlua (like how the OpenGL object does it). If I have time, I may be able to try compiling a couple compatible DLLs for you if you need help.

Existing lua libraries aren't directly compatible because all the internal lua functions are stored in different places in Xlua than they are in the official lua51 DLL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Retriever2
    Atom, not quite. You don't have to change anything in the luamidi source code (lua or C code). But you must compile the C code according to whatever instructions they provide. However you must do it in Visual C++ 2008 [Express], which they may or may not provide a project file for (they might only provide one for GCC .. or maybe they're cruel and provide nothing).

In the project settings, there would be a place to select additional libraries to link against, and the instructions would ask you to link against lua51.lib (MSVC++) or lua51.a (GCC), but instead you would link against the xlua.lib file included in the zip file.

It's all probably confusing if you've never built stuff from source before. In the near future I'll put together some instructions for building lua libraries, as well as instructions for extension authors to build libraries that interface their extensions directly with Xlua (like how the OpenGL object does it).

Existing lua libraries aren't directly compatible because all the internal lua functions are stored in different places in Xlua than they are in the official lua51 DLL.
    Ok thanks, so it would only be Visual C++ 2008 [Express] that allows the compile and not others like Codeblocks for example?

http://www.codeblocks.org/features

On the website it lists 'MSVC++' which im guessing means microsoft visual C++ but i may be wrong.

I think i better wait for the instructions right now unless someone wants to compile luamidi and make a simple mfa example.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Codeblocks is an IDE but not a compiler in and of itself. It relies on other compilers such as MingW or MSVC++. However I can't help you setup Codeblocks to work with MSVC++ because I've never tried it. They probably have instructions for it though.

The only reason you must use MSVC++ as your compiler (even if you use a different IDE like Codeblocks) is because the .lib file only works with it. It's the same reason all extension authors here must use some version of MSVC++ because the mmfs2 library comes as a .lib file.

Page 15 of 43 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast