User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can I use MMF to unblock and forward ports?

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can I use MMF to unblock and forward ports?

I logged into my router webpage one day and noticed that a couple programs had ports forwarded for them. It seemed apparent that they were automatically forwarded by the programs. Can this be integrated into an MMF2 application? I don't care if it's really complex; just is it possible?

When I checked out my firewall I noticed the same thing: programs had automatically unblocked ports. Is it also possible to unblock ports on a user's firewall in MMF2?

Thanks

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Can I use MMF to unblock and forward ports?

Yes, but I'm not explaining this one. :sick:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not entirely sure how you can make an MMF2 application go into my router and unblock ports. I especially can't see how this process would be so consistent between so many types of routers, that the process would be at all reasonable to even do, considering how easily broken it would be by the slightest change in hardware.

Long answer short. No, I don't believe it is possible. Unless you're talking about unblocking firewall ports on Windows itself, I highly doubt you're going to be able to even access the router (most common place for unblocking ports), much less compensate for all the different kinds of routers out there.

Your best bet would be to just give out the port and refer people to www.PortForward.com for instructions on how to unblock it.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So it's possible, but highly impractical. In that case, is there a way to test that a post is forwarded and unblocked? I imagine this should be simple, just testing if information can get to the user's computer through a certain port. How would I go about doing that? Moosock? Live Receiver? :confused:

Could this be done with a combination of Live Receiver, a web server, and php? Or is there a faster way?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't assume that because Seele said yes and I say no, that the answer is yes, but highly impractical and leaning towards no. Either Seele thinks (and is correct in assuming) you mean firewall ports on Windows (which are usually not a big problem, just turn the firewall off, almost everyone knows this), in which case the problem might be possible.

Or you're talking about the ports on routers, in which case, I honestly do not think you are going to find a way to do this, that is going to work consistently and not be broken by the slightest change in hardware.

I mean really, think about it. What's the one thing viruses and spyware, like anything else, use to communicate with your computer? Ports. Blocked ports protect your computer. What are viruses? Software or pieces of software. It's not meant to be an easy automatic process to unblock ports. If it was, it would be just as easy for viruses and spyware as it is for you.

MMF2 is powerful, but sometimes the expectations are on the exact opposite side of the spectrum of what it's designed to do. Haha. :crazy:

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BrandonC, if you install certain software they will automatically unblock certain ports on your default xp firewall. If your computer is using ICS to connect to the internet through another computer, some programs will even talk to the server computer and set up forwarding for that program automatically.

I don't see the practically of being able to do this with anything made with MMF. If anything someone would use this to try to make something fishy, and would only make more AVs give false positives to MMF applications. :mad:

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pkeod
    BrandonC, if you install certain software they will automatically unblock certain ports on your default xp firewall. If your computer is using ICS to connect to the internet through another computer, some programs will even talk to the server computer and set up forwarding for that program automatically.

I don't see the practically of being able to do this with anything made with MMF. If anything someone would use this to try to make something fishy, and would only make more AVs give false positives to MMF applications. :mad:
    The OP mentioned his router though, so I don't really think he means the firewall in Windows. In which case that is pretty much impossible to be usable for anybody but himself, because in order to the change the router, you'd have to know the router firmware and how it works, and the username and password to log in. If he wants to unblock ports for a multiplayer game, this is certainly not the way to do it.

Honestly, I don't know of any programs that forward ports to your ROUTER automatically. Windows Firewall? Yes. A hardware router? No.

I don't think this can be done, and even if he did somehow figure out a way, I can't imagine it would work without having the username and password for the router admin login. Which means there is no automatic way for anybody but himself to do it.

As BrandonC mentioned, if blocked ports is a problem, you're just going to have to let people know what ports your app is using and direct them to portforward.com or something similar if they don't know how to set up their port forwarding on their router.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have uPnP enabled on your router, that is probably how the ports are being forwarded automatically.

No idea how you'd use uPnP from MMF though. I think there is a Windows dll for it, so possibly using the dll object?

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But be aware upnp isn't available on every router, and not activated in many others... I think it actually kind of defeats the point of a router.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Corentin
    I think [upnp] actually kind of defeats the point of a router.
    Well that depends on what you consider "router" to mean.
    A: A way to join a home network to the internet as transparently as possible
    B: A way to hide and protect a home network from the internet

Note that the first is the correct definition of a router, the second is actually a firewall. A NAT router (the kind most people consider to be the only kind) naturally includes a firewall, which is where most of the confusion comes from.

upnp does somewhat defeat the point of having a firewall in your router though, because there is nothing to stop malware using it to put so many holes into your firewall it might as well not be there. Though that would require the malware to get in in the first place (you can only send upnp commands from inside the firewall's protection), so it's not that likely to happen. The thing is, if malware was on your home network it wouldn't need to use upnp, because it would be connecting out (to infect others, send spam, or to check in with command and control), not expecting incoming connections.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast