User Tag List

Thread: Help Needed with RTS

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help Needed with RTS

As you all know i'm an experienced User of Clickteam Products but theres something I need a little help with.

I'm finally going to attempt to make a proper Real-Time Stratedgy Game, like Warcraft 2 or Command & Conquer Red Alert (they're great games btw).

I was wondering how on earth do I get it to select & deselect units, I know how to do this in a chess game but I coudn't build a functional selection engine that could select multiple units, I don't wanna make my game like Dune 2, I wanna make it more like Dune 2000, one thing that gets me here, is group filtering, how do I filter it down to some indiviual instances.

How do I move units smoothly using APF? It only explains how to move them one 32by32 square at a time, I want to move them 1 pixel at a time, how do i do this? I've already used the APF before but never demonstrated it.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Help Needed with RTS

For the slection, you could do things like

user clicks on object
    start loop "deselect"
    set flag one on

on loop deselect
    set flag one off

then do something similar with box selection. As for the pathfinding, while I have not looked at the advanced path finding object, I assume it is similar to the original pathfiding object. I created a towerdefence game that uses this, I used an ingenious combination of the pathfiding object and the advanced direction object, where the objects has a bouncing ball movement, and then it finds the next step it needs to take, and the advanced direction object makes the object face that way smoothly, without any sudden changes of direction.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL dude. RTS games would probably be the hardest thing to make in MMF2. I should know I am working on one right now. If you cannot get units to be selected, you have NO CHANCE of making a game like C&C or warcraft.

You need to know how to make units move with the APF object. The examples tell you everything you need to know. Make a selection box to select your units, asign them an ID or turn on a flag, set their destination and move them.

Trust me if you cant get this to work, you will never finish an RTS game in mmf2. Especially once you start to add other things such as isometric perspective, different heights (hills, etc), tech trees, making units attack/defend, buildings, a minimap, map editor... There is much more to an RTS than this.

Im not trying to discourage you, i am just letting you know that it is very difficult and making a decent RTS game will easily take you a few years.

Forum Moderator

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dragonguy. I have an RTS tutorial on my website in reference to a selection box and movement. It uses an active unit with static movement, based on the position of the destination. See if that helps.

Marv
    ​458 TGF to CTF 2.5+ Examples and games
    http://www.castles-of-britain.com/mmf2examples.htm