Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: XNA for Xbox?

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: XNA for Xbox?

But you'd need drivers for EVERYTHING on the disk. That's more than even a Windows disk has, and those are full...

Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike
    Certain TV's will only display certain aspect ratios, and cheap TVs (especially when it comes to widescreen) do not always display the correct ratio.

Have you ever watched a film and saw a black border around it, or on the top / bottom of the screen, or part of the image gets cut off on the sides? This is because the aspect ratio on the TV isn't actually displaying what it should.

This can be a small problem (again especially when consdering widescreen) to develop for.
    It's quite simple, actually. Make sure nothing important is in the outer 10% of the screen, and let the TV sort out adding black bars if it isn't the same aspect ratio as your image (trust me, it's better than stretching the picture out of shape). The 10% is because some TVs fit the image by chopping some off the sides or bottom instead of adding black, or do both.

EDIT: For PC, you have to code to handle 4:3, 5:4, 16:9, 16:10, and maybe even multiple monitors, not to mention varying refresh rates and maybe allowing different anti-aliasing and texture filtering settings.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PC's are by far a lot more flexible than consoles. Trust me, I will never speak out against PC's when it comes to gaming, but there are a ton of valuable points to be made when it comes to console gaming. Quite simply the most prominent one is simply the main stream aspect of it. When people buy a console, they generally only have one main idea in mind. They want to play games. The rest are all side features. When people get a computer, generally they plan to do much more with it then just game, and if they plan to game with it, they add more hardware to it on their own. PC will be superior when it comes to most aspects of gaming, besides the simplicity of knowing the game is guarrenteed to work on your console, and knowing that merely placing the disk in the drive will make it work. No installation needed.

So when it comes to talking about Clickteam perusing XNA, there should be no talk about why PC's are better... none at all. This isn't a competition, this is a suggestion to dramatically increase their market niche and mainstream-ability of their produce.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think there should even be a question. If they're capable of doing this, they certainly should. It's pretty much a no-brainer in regards to what this would do for exposure to their products.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MMF-XNA would be a dream come true for a lot of indies.

The 360 is going to be around for at least another 5-years. And if the economy stays about the same, it could last even longer. Likewise, XNA will probably be around for the foreseeable future because it's based on the game dev friendly, object oriented C#. Although, I would be stunned if Clickteam could pull off even a basic (stable) version of MMF-XNA in less than 2-years.

Having stated that, I am super happy with the progress they have made with Mobile Java, Flash, and HWA. Stick to high powered 2D game experiences Clickteam. There are already too many powerful 3D game editors to compete with effectively at this stage.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am pretty sure XNA is in the works and will be sooner than 2 years

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonC
    PC's are by far a lot more flexible than consoles.
    Thats because its a computer, it screams user made content wether it be video, word documents, audio, or games

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just so people know.... many developers I know who have made XNA games have yet to break even after their games have been live for a while. Having MMF export to XNA may help solve this, but don't expect selling for the 360 to be a gold mine unless you can get your game into XBLA and get a lot of promotion (good luck with that). Don't ignore the market, and make games people will buy for the PC. MMF is a great tool for multimedia rich games, and these sorts of games, when made well, sell well.

2D FTW.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By the time it is released Xbox would be old..

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamite
    Except Microsoft is planning to keep the Xbox 360 until at least 2015. So you're saying it will take Clickteam 6 years to make the XNA runtime?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pkeod
    ....many developers I know who have made XNA games have yet to break even after their games have been live for a while. Having MMF export to XNA may help solve this...
    True, but I only know one "rich" indie developer, and one who makes a living at it. I think the lack of 360 sales is largely because most of the games are complete junk, with drab visuals. People expect to have luscious looking HD graphic experiences on the 360. As of right now, XNA community games are the frontier of C# programmers, and very few digital artists.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamite
    C# isn't going away anytime soon, and neither is XNA. When 2015 rolls around, I fully expect to see an incarnation of community games make the leap to the Xbox 720. The sooner Clickteam releases MMF-XNA, the easier it will be to adapt to future advances.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7