User Tag List

Thread: Save status of entire game (load / save values)

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Save status of entire game (load / save values)

Hi, I'm currently working on an adventure game in MMF2 Developer.

The issue I have is, what is the best way to save the status of the game (for when the player saves their progress).

I have a number of items (active objects spread over 5 locations/frames) and an inventory (slots) that the objects can be placed in. The inventory (boxes/slots)and the objects all have counters (to keep track of their positions) and alterable strings to keep track of their status (if they are in use or selected etc).
    I want the player to save their progress at any point in the game, but I want their save game to save the entire status of the screens/locations that have been visited. So they can pickup where they left off, so if they have solved any puzzles or moved any items on previous screens this information is loaded in from their save game.
    Is this possible and what would be the best way to do this???
    I have my objects set as 'global objects' and I am thinking of using the 'ini' extension to save the setting for each screen as the player progresses - is this the best way???
    I have looked at games which are already on the maket and they seem to just use 'ini' files to save information about the player.

Hope you can help,

Thanks.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Save status of entire game (load / save values)

ini would be the way to go here. And you could also use "Save Frame" for the current level.

I've never used it, but there's also the save game object

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I check out the 'save game object'. Thanks for the help :-)

Is there a straight forward/easier way to save values to an 'ini' file???

At the moment I'm creating numerious actions for the 'set value' of the object - for example - I create an action to save the 'X' position in the 'ini' and then I add another action to save the 'Y' position. Is there a way I can set/save the value for the X and Y and the alterable string for an object in one go???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry - regarding the above question - I have sorted the numerious actions issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have another issue now with the save/load of a games status.

I can load and save a frames status fine - but now the problem is, how do I check if a player has already been to a screen before.
    Is there a way I can save and pass info to an active object across frames - so if I click on an object on frame 1 it will effect the a value of an object on frame 2 (but without going to that frame)???

I have tried using a global object, but that doesn't work the way I want.

So basically - is there a simple way to save the status of a game (all its frames and objects that have been collected or moved).
    For example - if a player starts on frame 1 (there is a door here that needs a key to open), the player goes to frame 2 and picks up the key and then goes back to frame 1 and unlocks the door - then saves the game (to an ini file) - then loads back the saved game, and the game shows the key has been used and the door is unlocked - even if the player goes back to frame 2 (where the key originally was).
    Hope that makes sense.

Any help or ideas concerning this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yo,
    Im at work so i gotta keep this short.

You need to check "global object" in the "properties" panel for each object but your events for said bojects also need to be global. click on the icon that represents your game file in the "project" panel and go down to the "properties" panel. click the "events" tab and then edit the "global values". Any events here should carry between frames just make sure that they are working with your in-frame events correctly and not stomping all over them.

My terminollogy may be a bit off. if the menus i mentioned are named slightly different, sorry. I can check to make sure I'm not giving you false info when i get home.

otherwise... good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for the help.

I do already have "global object" checked. But I'm working with "objects" alterable string to set the status of the active (objects, not global values.

All this advice is very helpful, thank you.

I will have another shot at it :-)

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deke, the problem you had is the same I have now with my adventure. I don't know if you've solved it in three months (I suppose you have!) but in my case it's way more complicated, since I have dozens of "rooms" (frames) and hundreds of objects. When I need to save the status of the adventure there's a lot of data to be saved: where every character is, which objects he's carrying, which elements of each room have been modified, etc.
    I'm not afraid by the amount of work to do, I'm afraid to choose a wrong way to do it!

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's only so many ways to save data. You can use arrays and save from them for mass amounts of data. You can also set up different arrays for each sort of thing you're trying to save, and save them independently. For example, if you have dozens of characters in a room, you'd most likely want to save their x/y positions, their current animation, their direction, and what object they are. So you could set up a loop to run through all of the objects, and save their data accordingly.

Then when you want to load them back up, run another loop that creates objects in all of the positions and sets their direction and animation accordingly.

Boba, I would suggest that you set up arrays to save the current state of whatever "room" you're currently in when you leave it. This way you have arrays keeping track of each room's changes. Then you can just either load from those directly, or compile them all into one save file and then "unpack" them when you load the game.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Konidias
    Boba, I would suggest that you set up arrays to save the current state of whatever "room" you're currently in when you leave it. This way you have arrays keeping track of each room's changes. Then you can just either load from those directly, or compile them all into one save file and then "unpack" them when you load the game.
    Sounds interesting, but what if I need many different savegames slots?
    Is there a simply way to save automatically ALL the Global Values somewhere? I'm mainly using Global Values (and Global Objects' Alterable Values) to keep track of everything in the game. I was considering to use the INI (or INI++) object but I don't know if it's possible to automatically save all the values.