Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Practices

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best Practices

Hi - I want to start making my first app now, but before I start I would like to know if there is a 'best practices' tutorial somewhere (I couldnt find one).

Or, if not, could someone please give me a quick rundown on 'always do this, put this first, never do this and that together' etc. etc.

Thanks, any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

PS. My main interest in in building apps right now. I'll give making games a try later on...

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Best Practices

Window Controls like Buttons, Lists and so on are drawn by the OS, therefore you cannot use them in transitions and you will have problems with layers and sub applications overlapping those.

Keup User controls alive, like ATLF+F4, Minimize, Restore, and so on. Nothing more anoying then an application that is always on top and you can't do other things while it is running.

Make sure you trigger file operations correctly and do not loop them and therefore stress the hardware of the user. Try to avoid Always as much as possible.

Group your code, put comments whenever you need. Rename your objects with your own Name Convention. Insert Folder into your Frame and put Background and or Actives into them.

All this will make your code easy to read, even by other people and you may get help faster then "Active 67 is not working with Editbox 37 on a colision with Backdrop 766"

Good Luck

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Naming conventions are a HUGE help. I always use the format:
    BG: Dirt: Left Wall Edge
    or
    Particle: Small Explosion

so they are always grouped up together when you need to do events like 'create' because it puts them alphabetically.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, what product do you have? MMF2, MMF2 Developer, or TGF2? And what do you plan to do? Do you want to sell your application? Do you want to use it for personal use?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Naming is a key thing to make sure you do, and make sure you add words like Button or String for easier identification in case the icon doesn't help.

Also, groups help A LOT. As long as you use groups with useful names and put sections in them, it will help you stay organized. That way you wont have to search your WHOLE event list for what an action does. Groups are sort of like an index.

Finally, if you use Global Values/Alterable Values, make comments that identify what each represents. Use comments for stuff that is not obvious, in case you try interpretting it later.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Comments are your friend. Use them for every event if you have to.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks everyone for the useful info... Much appreciated.

Be nice if people could just keep adding to it - perhaps?

Just a thought...

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually some sort of guide or list would actually be pretty useful.
    But like most things in life, most of it is trial and error. There are usually many ways to achieve something and as you do more and more you will learn what is the best practices with time.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I might add one:

Start small.

Break down your main goal into several smaller goals and try to achieve them one by one.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator ProPatch Maker
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't forget about Windows best practices.
    Don't try to write to the same location of the application, it won't always work unless the user has admin or domain admin.
    Use the users profile area
    Your software may not work in a corporate domain based environment if it relys on the network due to strict firewall/network rules.
    Quite a few software developers fail miserably at all of these because they don't cater for corporate environments.

On the other hand windows terminal services (2008), Vmware and citrix is becomming quite popular with virtulising hardware environments this can sometimes fix a few of these issues.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast