User Tag List

Thread: Mobile Games: Size Matters?

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mobile Games: Size Matters?

Just wondering what would be considered a good maximum size for a cell phone game? The numbers aren't easy to find. I know the i-Phone has GB's, but my humble phone has about 300MB's for media/apps plus an external micro-SD card (which I can only load music, pictures, and video to).

Not sure how much space my two purchased games are taking up, but they can't be much larger than 2MB's.

Also, my phone can display 256,000 colors but most cell phone games don't seem to be anywhere near that many.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Mobile Games: Size Matters?

You must consider only the amount of ram. On many phones low end, it is only 1 mb. So if you want your app to work on every pho
    ne you must respec
    t that. High end phones have more mem, so a coiple of megs should be ok.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow. 1MB of RAM. <Shivers> I would like to imagine that my cell phone has more than that, what with the video and web browsing. Here is a list I found of phones with the highest amounts of Ram, ranging from 64MB to 384MB:

http://www.phonegg.com/Top/Ram-Amount-Cell-Phones.html

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you look at some of the most popular mass market java titles at the moment, they are rarely above 500kb in file size. Of course if you want to narrow down your set of compatible devices, then it doesn't matter even if you would have a 5 Mb jars.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My new Nokia (fell in water, may it rest in peace), even though the actual disk space were bigger, had a max limit of 650KB for a game. Was the game bigger than that, it refused to load pass the menu screen. So even though you have 500 terrabytes of space, unless the RAM allowes it, the game wouldn't play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MJK
    If you look at some of the most popular mass market java titles at the moment, they are rarely above 500kb in file size. Of course if you want to narrow down your set of compatible devices, then it doesn't matter even if you would have a 5 Mb jars.
    Yeah... I found a way to look at the app sizes on my phone. To my horror, it only allows for 10MB's worth of games and the largest one is 700k. I think the color pallet is 256 colors. Possibly less.

Anyone know the typical i-phone game size?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleMac Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Iphone games can vary in size quite alot... but they dont support Java...

Size wise it can go into MB's easily. Though loading times/performance is key

pukegrusome

most games 16 colors to it and dont mean the iphone 3d ones im on about the ****y games you get with the phone the do it save space