User Tag List

Thread: New suggestion for Alterable flags/values/strings

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New suggestion for Alterable flags/values/strings

Ok this might have to be implemented in MMF3 as from what I have read previously it is too hard for Clickteam to change the way alt values etc work in MMF2 without rewriting a lot of the engine, but hear me out...

Anyway the way alterable values work right now is they are referenced by their letter such as Alt A etc. The problem with this is that it makes it hard when you need to add or change values around within an object. It is also VERY annoying when you are using qualifiers, as all objects that use that qualifier would need to have the same values in the exact same order for them to work properly.

What I am proposing is that the values be indexed by name instead. This way you can have the values in any order you like and instead of applying actions to Alt value A, it can instead be applied to any alterable value with the name of "health" for example. This would make it EXTREMELY useful for qualifiers where you can add values as you go and it will still work no matter where they are placed.

Now what if the name of that value did not exist in an object? Well thats easy, it will simply not apply events to that object. object selection should still work fine this way and it will make it much easier to work with. The same thing should obviously also apply to alterable strings and flags (including renaming!)

I hope Yves or F see this and make note.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: New suggestion for Alterable flags/values/strings

In the properties tab of an object you can add alterable values and strings, then right click and select "Rename".
    However you can't rename qualifier aterables.
    Working as fast as I can on Fusion 3

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Out of genuine interest, why can't clickteam just add like 10 or 20 more alt values?

I mean, it's just copying and pasting the code some 20 more times, isn't it?

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by _LB
    In the properties tab of an object you can add alterable values and strings, then right click and select "Rename".
    However you can't rename qualifier aterables.
    I know you can rename them, that isn't what this post is about. I am talking about how they are linked and referenced in the event editor.

Quote Originally Posted by Fimbul
    Out of genuine interest, why can't clickteam just add like 10 or 20 more alt values?

I mean, it's just copying and pasting the code some 20 more times, isn't it?
    I doubt its as easy as that. They are used throughout the program which from what I have heard from Yves himself that it involves rewriting a lot of the engine to allow for this. Thats the same reason why we havn't seen named flags even though everyone asks for them.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It is feasable, but such a system would be a LOT slower than the current one, as I would have to go through the list of variable with the name to find the correct one. I am sure that the speed difference would be noticeable for complex applications.
    You can access the variables by number. Isn't that enough?

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Francois
    It is feasable, but such a system would be a LOT slower than the current one, as I would have to go through the list of variable with the name to find the correct one. I am sure that the speed difference would be noticeable for complex applications.
    You can access the variables by number. Isn't that enough?
    Well we can, thats how its worked for years, but it makes it hard when having say 20 different actives under one qualifier as you need to make sure that each active uses the exact same variable numbers.
    Could you make it so that when you build the application it still works like it does now (I assume simply pointing to the number) rather than searching through the list of variables, however for edit time it will work this way?