Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Importing & controlling 2D models taken from video

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Importing & controlling 2D models taken from video

Some of you may have read my introductory thread explaining my video game project. For those not familiar, here is the initial thread:

http://www.clickteam.com/epicenter/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=147551&page=2

As I continue to test different things, I'm becoming more confident that this software can do what I need. However, there is one very important piece needed in order to make my demo work.

Let me explain the operation of how I'm looking to have running the ball work:

*When a pass is caught, the game immediately goes into a close-up type of sequence where the ballcarrier is shown running downfield with defender(s) chasing him:

In another program like Sony Vegas (using chroma key), I'll be cutting a moving image like the above from a video, of a football player running downfield carrying the ball.

Here is a rough example cut (picture mentally the player running):

I'll then in Sony Vegas, take this moving image and place it over the crowd background:

Now what I want to do with the foreground image (the football player) is make it where he moves over the background as a result of the user flipping the left and right analog sticks (360 controller) up/down. If the user stops flipping, the player slows down and stops. So in a nutshell, I need to make the players running movement assignable to the left and right analog sticks (360 controller).

Now for a more fleshed out real world example:

Here is the best example of what this would look like in motion (starting at 19 seconds)

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKt5kIaMmwA[/video]

^^^ The players of course won't be moving like jitterbugs, lol.

What I'm needing from MMF2 Dev:

1. I need to be able for the 2D background (the crowd and whatnot) and foreground (the 2D ballcarrier) to pop up quickly and simultaneously after a catch is made, or when the ballcarrier gets past the line of scrimmage.

PASS THROWN ===> CATCH MADE ===> RUNNING SEQUENCE

2. I need to be able to (using keyframing?) make it where the user can control the foreground asset (ballcarrier), so as he flips the left/right sticks up and down, the ballcarrier runs downfield. If the user stops, the ballcarrier slows down and eventually stops. The faster the user flips the sticks, the faster the player runs (up to a limit and based on the speed rating of the ballcarrier, but that will be moreso tackled in the finished product).

3. As an extension to #2... I don't know what file format the ballcarrier asset would be in. Is there a list of acceptable formats for importing models/characters/graphics?

4. I would like the background to be a video, but since depth of field effects will be used to blur the background, I'd be able to settle for using a photo for the background if I have to. I just need to know if I can make this background scroll as the player runs, and have the speed of the scrolling be dependent on how fast the player is running. And, when the player stops running the scrolling stops. Can this be done in MMF2 Dev?

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Importing & controlling 2D models taken from video

Any info, tips, things to look for, anyone?

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You'd have to cut the body into segments, see popcorn's tutorial here:
    http://www.clickteam.com/epicenter/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=41733
    Working as fast as I can on Fusion 3

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks LB. That's some wild stuff. I'm definitely going to read up on that. Thanks again. I continue to be amazed at the number of things that can be done in this software.

If there are also any ways to insert a full model without breaking it up in parts and then keyframing, let me know. I'd like to play with a number of alternatives if I can.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You already have full access to animation frames, animation min and max speed and also you can halt the animation. From this what you describe is very easy doable. Just play a bit with animation speeds. You can go from very fast to very slow.

If you can upload an active with the animation and the background setup like you want it to have, then I can make you an example.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey maVado,

I'll see if I can find a good vid, cut out some frames of the guy running and get a background to set it to. I'll post and/or PM.

I'm really interested to see your example.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey maVado,

I was about to cut some stuff out, then I realize I'm not very good at it, lol. Plus, I can't find the angle I want. I'm going to have to wait until I can film it like I was planning.

The good thing though, is that I've learned how to use the animation editor frame manipulation. It's very straightforward. Now all I have to do is:

*Film the running sequence (Chroma-keyed)

*Find the best program to make screenshots of each frame of the running (the film of the live action is in 30 frames, so I suppose I should be capturing my film frames at 30 too to keep continuity strong).

*Figure out which picture file format I want to use. It will have to be a format that will of course allow for transparency, because the character models will have to be running by the scrolling background and have a seamless look with clean edges. I've heard that .png is the most painless for making a transparent background.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For your purposes I'd reccomed Bink from Rad Game Tools, http://www.RadGameTools.com/

Bink is great for making and editing animations, it can take files and put them into one animation or take an animation and split the frames into separate files.

Also I have a Mass Image Chnager which can resize and/or change the image format of a whole lot of images in a numbered order like from image1 to image345. http://www.LB-Stuff.com/Tools/ (two game tools)

I hope the programs help you!

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks LB!

I've been seeing Bink for years in different games. Are you saying I should convert my vids into Bink format? Is it more widely compatible than .wmv? I'll be using .wmv for the demo.

One of my full vids was an .MKV file, and I converted it to a .wmv using "AnyVideoConverter". The original MKV file was 4.37 GB's. WIth conversion, it compressed a lot (down to 1.7 GB's), and I lost 5 frames per second, so now it skips and stutters. The original vid before converting is in 1280x720 at 29.97 frames per second.

As for animations... all I really need is to screen cap a player running from the vid I'm going to shoot, going at least 30 frames per second. Take each screen cap, load it up in the frame editor in MMF2...

But are you saying that I can do this all with more control in Bink?

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not saying to convert them into .bik format, you'd need to buy a license and a DLL for that. I'm saying you can use it to break apart animations into separate images, and then re-assemble them again into something like FLC or FLI animations for MMF2 to handle. I used Bink to make some animations with silly putty before, they turned out quite nicely. So you should use Bink mroe of a conversion tool than the actuall format itself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast