User Tag List

Thread: PMO help - jittering while walking into wall

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PMO help - jittering while walking into wall

I've been using Chaos' PMO examples to show me how to put together a Platform game however i'm having trouble when the player moves up to a wall and doesn't release the arrow key - the character sprite begins jittering between the stopped animation and the walking animation (atleast i think that's what it's doing).
    I thought i'd ask here and see if anyone knows how i would get it to just continue playing the walking animation when this happens?
    any help is appreciated

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: PMO help - jittering while walking into wall

I've had that problem. Are you using a collision box/mask for the actual PMO and not the animated player sprite? I'm sure you probably did but just checking.

The most likely culprit however is that you need to use left and right detectors on either side of the character. And set it up so that if Left detector is overlapping backdrop, stop movement (that's basic pseudo-code, not real code obviously) I found the strange jittery anomaly myself. What I think is going on with the PMO is that it is repeatedly starting and stopping against an obstacle. It's nothing you're doing wrong, it's just the PMO. The only workaround I've ever been able to do is the left and right detectors.

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's odd, I don't remember the PMO ever having a problem with nudging against a wall, as long as the size of the collider was always constant... though it's been a while since I used it.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidN
    That's odd, I don't remember the PMO ever having a problem with nudging against a wall, as long as the size of the collider was always constant... though it's been a while since I used it.
    Well it works, but the problem comes in with the animations. It keeps telling the animation to continuously start and stop, making it look like they are having a seizure lol.

Of course, there might be a way to fix it in the coding, but I tried forever and couldn't do it without detectors.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also try checking the "Collision with Box" for backdrop objects.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all your responses guys, I've figured it out now - I'd just created my right and left Sensors and was about to add the code when while looking at the conditions for playing the stop animation it dawned on me - all i needed to do was set 2 extra conditions for playing animation stop, those being that the right and left button are not being held - it seems to work. However I plan on adding a crouch so i don't know if that will mess with it or not.
    Thanks again