User Tag List

Thread: Castlevania stairs

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Castlevania stairs

Hi, I've been trying for a while now (a bit on and off again)to create stairs that resemble those seen in the old castlevania games in particular those seen in Castlevania Rondo of blood, however i've now decided to go simple and instead aim for a stair movement similar to the ol' nes Castlevania games. So far I've got a file with my own solution to Castlevania (nes) style stairs and i just wondered whether anybody would like to take a look and maybe let me know if i've made any common mistakes or something could be changed to be more efficient etc that kind of stuff? I tried to comment on it and make it as understandable as possible.
    I'd really appreciate the help, i've had MMF a while now but i'm not all that good with it yet.

Here's the link
    View MFA
    (it's nothing special graphics wise at the moment just a few blocks and oblongs representing the player etc)

Forum Moderator

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Castlevania stairs

Hi Atherton. That is a nice example. On your note in the comments. Maybe use flags to disable one the keys so it can not be used while the other one is used.

Marv
    ​458 TGF to CTF 2.5+ Examples and games
    http://www.castles-of-britain.com/mmf2examples.htm

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found a bug in this:

Go all the way to the right passed the first stair case. Then hold left and up.
    You will end up going up the stairs, then back down. Up and down up and down.
    This also happens when going down the stairs. It's when you press the opposite direction of where you want to go on the stairs.

Other than that, this looks pretty good.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know this is an old topic by now but i've been returning to this stair movement lately and the only thing that i'm not happy with about it and still can't correct is the back and forth motion when holding more than one directional key.

I don't suppose it would be too late to ask if Nivram (or anybody else in the know)could explain what using flags to disable keys would entail? If your able to provide an example/Edit that would be even better

any other solutions are also welcome if you can think of any - this annoying bugs is probably the only thing making me not consider implimenting stairs in my game.

any help would be much appreciated
    thanks

Forum Moderator

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi. You can probably adapt my custom movement setup for preventing this. When a key is pressed in the movement setup, a group is activated for the actual movement and the other moving groups are deactivated. The example uses flags and also prevents another key doing something while moving.

Marv
    ​458 TGF to CTF 2.5+ Examples and games
    http://www.castles-of-britain.com/mmf2examples.htm