Thread: SQLite3 and SQLITE3PRO v2.0 BETA VERSIONS

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SQLite3 and SQLITE3PRO v2.0 BETA VERSIONS

Hi.

After a quick pre-beta phase I feel that it's time to enter beta stage.

Here's the beta link to the extensions:

SQLITE3 2.0 for Multimedia Fusion 2 Standard:
    http://www.clickteam.info/byo/MMF2/Extensions/Beta/sqlite3mmf_v20_PRO_beta.exe

SQLITE3PRO 2.0 for Multimedia Fusion 2 Professional:
    http://www.clickteam.info/byo/MMF2/Extensions/Beta/sqlite3mmf_v20_beta.exe

Please remember this is a beta version meaning it might contain some bugs that we couldn't reproduce yet.

Please test it against your projects (make backup copies).
    If you find any issues please post here.

Special thanks to Fernando Vivolo for the pre-beta testing and all useful information.

And thanks to all who downloaded, used and have posted criticism/improvement or nice words.

Kind regards,

Andre Guerreiro Neto (byo)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: SQLite3 and SQLITE3PRO v2.0 BETA VERSIONS

One additional information: I just implemented (for real) the "Save memory database to file" (PRO version only) and it seems to work like a charm. So basically now you can create a memory database file, do everything you want to do with it and write the whole database to file without even having to close the memory database.

And I just added two more functions to the PRO version:

"Load disk database to memory"
    You'll be able to load database from disk into your currently opened memory database.
    and
    "Backup database"
    Makes a file containing a backup of the current database and encrypt it (simple encryption).

"Restore database"
    Restore an encrypted database file to an already opened database.

The latter two are still not tested but I'm glad that they're available now. (you won't find them yet in the current beta)

Regards,

Andre Guerreiro

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi byo, im new to these SQL and PostgreSQL things. Im not fully sure what these do so i just search the wiki -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PostgreSQL

And a lot of the users it lists are online website based. So im wondering as i have not installed it yet is this for making websites/online databases or can it be used for offline things also? Would it be useful for games like RPG items etc or is that not really what these databases do.

Also if it can do offline things and is useful in games with the 1 click installer required would anyone that had the MMF app be required to install this also?

Hopefully these are ok questions, thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, there's nothing wrong with using a database offline

Depending on how much data you're storing, it could be a lot easier to use something like INI++, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok great so i can use it for general database and array tasks it seems without needing to go online. Thanks for the info i will install this sometime soon then and take a look.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, Atom.

Like Jamie said, it depends on your needs.
    If you're trying to create a game and have a configuration data stored then an INI file or registry editing would be sufficient.

Now if you want to create a game that involves a lot of data that must be retrieved and controlled during the application excution time then I recommend SQLite3 or SQLite3 PRO because they are lightweight, esier to deploy. Games like RollerCoaster Tycoon or an RTS would benefit from this.

SQL Server and PostgreSQL are for commercial applications (maybe not suitable for games) where there are lots of users accessing the same data in a newtwork environment. It's like having a Delphi generated app in MMF2.

I hope that clears it up for you.

If you any further questions please post here and I'll try to help you.

PS.: Please do not download any extension from this topic because this is a beta version. Instead take a look at the Released Extensions forum.

Regards,

Andre Guerreiro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok well i was thinking a RPG database system along the lines of FF7 with monster and player data/names/spells/value arrays etc for loads of characters/monsters so it would be fairly complex if used in a game.

The commercial applications you mention im guessing would be stuff like systems like myspace accounts? With emails read, not read, new comments etc, i noticed on the wiki it used a admins etc. It seems though it would be great for any tasks that require a large amount of data storage. I haven't installed it just yet but it seems like it would be good for apps but also complex games so a very useful object. I also like the idea of more advanced versions of extensions for MMF developer, this is something extension devs should do more often.

Thanks yeah i got the downloads from the release threads. You should edit the original post but i remember that this forum script annoyingly blocks editing posts after a set time. Maybe a mod will redirect the link to the released extension pages if possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, Atom.

SQLite3 could easily do what you need.
    SQL Server and PostgreSQL have to be installed in at least one machine and no game player would like to install a database server that loads with Windows everytime you boot just to play a game.

That's one of the reasons that I advised you to use SQLite3 because you don't need any additional setup. If the player has the game exe file and the database file with the data he doesn't need anything else.

And yes, you are right about SQL Server and PostgreSQL. They can be used in large and professional projects that require multiple users, connections and data.

Regards,

Andre Guerreiro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok thanks i will use SQLite3 then