User Tag List

Thread: ASTEROIDS: My first full game

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ASTEROIDS: My first full game

Hey, this my first fully completed game. By that I mean, I've tried to make other games too, but something I couldn't figure out would stop me. So I have experience from that and doing tutorials. Anyway, please try it out. I know SOME events I made to do stuff is very unconventional, but thats because I didn't really know much and, I learned a lot from this.

Here it is: Please tell me what you liked about it, didn't like, and suggest some improvements I could of done. (not new features, just some improvements that could of made it better)

http://uploading.com/files/73abf655/Asteroids.mfa/

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: ASTEROIDS: My first full game

Hi,
    I played it and found it to be pretty solid. Good framerate and responsive.

Bugs:
    You can still hear the shooting sound when you press space even if your dead. I suggest fixing this by adding the condition to the shoot action:

Number of objects (Ship) > 0

Here's my suggestions:

1) When you die, you have to use the mouse to click respawn. This is distracting, because the game is keyboard heavy. By the time I click and then move back to the keyboard, I'm dead half the time. Why not let the user press 'Enter' to respawn as a 2nd option to clicking?

2) The comet spawns in the same place each time... You could make it more random in the spawning action by

After creating it:
    Set Y position to random(768)

That would make it appear randomly between the top and bottom of the screen. Of course you probably don't want it spawning right at the top, where you can hardly see it, or right at the bottom, so why not:

Set Y position to random(704) + 32

That way it will spawn at a minimum 32 pixels from the bottom, and a maximum 32 from the bottom.

3) It would be nice to have an automatic respawn, so maybe you could check for objects within a zone, and destroy them, or make them change direction towards the nearest border (it will appear like an invisible bounce). Then spawn the ship three - five seconds later.

That's all I can think of for now, well done.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleUnicode Add-on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For a first game, that's pretty darn good!

As Ryan suggested, changing the coment to a random position would be a good idea.

Otherwise, good job!

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    Hi,
    I played it and found it to be pretty solid. Good framerate and responsive.

Bugs:
    You can still hear the shooting sound when you press space even if your dead. I suggest fixing this by adding the condition to the shoot action:

Number of objects (Ship) > 0

Here's my suggestions:

1) When you die, you have to use the mouse to click respawn. This is distracting, because the game is keyboard heavy. By the time I click and then move back to the keyboard, I'm dead half the time. Why not let the user press 'Enter' to respawn as a 2nd option to clicking?

2) The comet spawns in the same place each time... You could make it more random in the spawning action by

After creating it:
    Set Y position to random(768)

That would make it appear randomly between the top and bottom of the screen. Of course you probably don't want it spawning right at the top, where you can hardly see it, or right at the bottom, so why not:

Set Y position to random(704) + 32

That way it will spawn at a minimum 32 pixels from the bottom, and a maximum 32 from the bottom.

3) It would be nice to have an automatic respawn, so maybe you could check for objects within a zone, and destroy them, or make them change direction towards the nearest border (it will appear like an invisible bounce). Then spawn the ship three - five seconds later.

That's all I can think of for now, well done.
    Quote Originally Posted by netninja
    For a first game, that's pretty darn good!

As Ryan suggested, changing the coment to a random position would be a good idea.

Otherwise, good job!
    Thanks guys. Yeah, I really didn't figure out how to do spawning very well, so I'll fix that.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModulePatch Maker
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very cool!!

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a bad game.... good job..... I would change it to a timed respawn though due to the dieing factor on mouse click