User Tag List

Thread: Serious tearing

RayMarble

Serious tearing

I have an almost empty frame with just a few dummy objects, two layers and the Window Control object that I'm using to display the application at 2* the original size.

Whenever I try to scroll the screen around by using a simple "Center camera on active at 0,0" there's an interesting effect: if the screen is scrolling, everything above the middle of the screen has a slight delay in following the camera. Once the dummy object reaches the area near the end of the frame and the camera doesn't move anymore, the object itself gets "torn in half".

Maybe it sounds weird but I recorded a video of what it looks like - despite the low framerate you'll see the tearing quite clearly. (Edit: video)

So, is this a known issue / how do I prevent this?

Things I have tested so far:
    1. All display modes (Standard, DirectX etc). None work correctly, the only one without tearing is D3D 8 but it blurs the display and makes the far back layer scroll twitchy... no good for a pixelart project.
    2. V-Sync - in all possible combination with the display modes.
    3. Playing with the framerate
    4. Machine independent speed
    5. changing to fullscreen helped in some aspects, but other problems popped up with this so I can't use that either.
    Attached files Attached files

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    279 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Re: Serious tearing

The only case where you don't get tearing is in full screen Direct3D mode.

In any other case you'll get tearing, because the screen is displayed by copying a hidden surface to the visible screen. To minimize tearing in these modes, use the V-Sync option with a framerate set to 75 and use a fast machine.

Direct3D full screen modes haven't this issue as visible and hidden screens are simply swapped.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

There's no point in putting a PNG in a RAR. See, the PNG is 33KB, the RAR 28KB. Little difference.

Anyway, your code is fine, I do that all the time, even with the "Hidden at start option" to hide the window while resizing.

The problem you're having seems familiar. It's not MMF's fault. I had the same effect in all Direct3D games. Does moving the window work? Move it to the bottom and see if it's still there, for me, it always was in the center of the screen, ergo if you move it away from the center, it's gone.
    I don't have this problem on my own PC but on a friend's PC.

RayMarble

Quote Originally Posted by Yves
    The only case where you don't get tearing is in full screen Direct3D mode.

In any other case you'll get tearing, because the screen is displayed by copying a hidden surface to the visible screen. To minimize tearing in these modes, use the V-Sync option with a framerate set to 75 and use a fast machine.

Direct3D full screen modes haven't this issue as visible and hidden screens are simply swapped.
    I'm using both the v-sync and 75 fps (as was advised by CT elsewhere on the forum).
    And I can't use fullscreen unfortunately.
    So basically - if I have scrolling, TGF is twitchy. Oh well, I'll think of something else. Thanks

RayMarble

Quote Originally Posted by Looki
    There's no point in putting a PNG in a RAR. See, the PNG is 33KB, the RAR 28KB. Little difference.

Anyway, your code is fine, I do that all the time, even with the "Hidden at start option" to hide the window while resizing.

The problem you're having seems familiar. It's not MMF's fault. I had the same effect in all Direct3D games. Does moving the window work? Move it to the bottom and see if it's still there, for me, it always was in the center of the screen, ergo if you move it away from the center, it's gone.
    I don't have this problem on my own PC but on a friend's PC.
    I know there's no point in putting a png in a rar, but the file uploader doesn't accept pngs

Anyway thanks for the answer, will try to move the window somewhere else - even if it works it won't solve my problem but at least it's good to know what's the situation

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Oh, sorry then, I didn't know there are file extension limitations! :blush:

RayMarble

Just tested it and you're right, the tearing always occurs in the middle of the screen. I'm curious - why does this happen?

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's because your graphics card and monitor are out of sync.

http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_9.html

TMYK

Forum Moderator

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yves and Brian. Thanks for the info. I didn't know that.

Marv
    ​458 TGF to CTF 2.5+ Examples and games
    http://www.castles-of-britain.com/mmf2examples.htm