User Tag List

Thread: Handling the Hp of multiple opponents

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Handling the Hp of multiple opponents

I am making a platform game where at certain times the player will be faced with multiple opponents (mushrooms in the case) of the same kind. Each opponent has a hp value, and the idea is of course that the opponent should die when it's hp reaches 0. Here's some code:

Always
    - Mushroom: Spread value 0 in ID

Always
    - Start loop checkshroom NObjects(Mushroom) times

On loop checkshroom
    + ID of Mushroom = Loopindex("checkshroom")
    + Shuriken collides with Mushroom
    - Subtract 1 from Hp(Mushroom)

On loop checkshroom
    + ID of Mushroom = Loopindex("checkshroom")
    + Hp of Mushroom = 0
    - Destroy Mushroom

All this does is destroy every Mushroom on the screen. It seems like it's the second loop that doesn't work, because if I remove it and change the first loop, where the shuriken hits the Mushroom, so that it destroys the Mushroom at once, each Mushroom will die the way they should.

If someone could please help me out with this I would be very thankful. I've read a dozen threads about this problem now, and in almost every one of them the code above has been the solution. Still it won't work. Argh...

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Handling the Hp of multiple opponents

From looking at just that section of code, you shouldn't need to use a fastloop for this - "Shuriken collides with Mushroom -> Subtract from Hp("Mushroom")" should select one object correctly anyway.

But if there are other reasons that you have to do it in a fastloop - is it possible that you're using the "Compare two general values" condition to test whether ID("Mushroom") is equal to the loop index? This event doesn't select one specific mushroom - use the "Compare alterable value" condition on the Mushroom object instead.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidN
    From looking at just that section of code, you shouldn't need to use a fastloop for this - "Shuriken collides with Mushroom -> Subtract from Hp("Mushroom")" should select one object correctly anyway.

But if there are other reasons that you have to do it in a fastloop - is it possible that you're using the "Compare two general values" condition to test whether ID("Mushroom") is equal to the loop index? This event doesn't select one specific mushroom - use the "Compare alterable value" condition on the Mushroom object instead.
    I just solved the main problem. In the code I posted I ignored to include the fact that when the shuriken hits the mushroom, and when the mushrooms hp reaches 0, I start new loops that create hundreds of particles that act like a "splat" effect.

As soon as I removed these loops from the events, things worked like a charm.

Kinda weird though.

Shuriken collides with Mushroom
    - destroy mushroom

destroys the correct mushroom

while

Shuriken collides with Mushroom
    - start loop "createsplat" 100 times
    - destroy mushroom

destroys all mushrooms.

Is there any logic to this?

(also, thanks for the advice - when removing the splat-loops there was no need for doing the spread value stuff at all)

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I once ran into the same problem and it (apparently) turned out to be that when you run a fastloop before the destroy action, the selected object becomes unselected and the action will apply to all objects of the same kind. You can try running the loops after the mushroom is destroyed, or should it fail too, trigger another condition. Feel free to correct me, though.

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That sounds absolutely right - MMF2 forgets about the object selection in the current event when you start a loop. That was a vital clue!

Apparently it isn't a very easy behaviour to correct in the MMF2 code - I think in this case you can avoid it by creating two duplicate events, one for "start loop 'createsplat'" and another for "destroy mushroom".

I usually create separate "generator" objects to handle particle effects, and using this setup (Create "generator" at "mushroom", destroy mushroom, loop 100 times using "generator" as the origin point for particles) you can consolidate it into one event.