Thread: Windows Mobile runtime

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Windows Mobile runtime

I'll just throw this in...

With the release of Windows Mobile 7 coming up, users will also get an App Store [Called Market Place]. This is a microsoft attempt to catch up on the phone race.

Now I'm thinking here... with the tons of WinMo devices out there (Blackberry/Palms/HTCs/Motorola/Samsung/Acer/LG/Sony Ericsson/Asus/Gigabyte/Toshiba and now some new players too - probably over 300 devices), wouldn't it be much more interesting to go for a Windows Mobile runtime than an iPhone runtime (currently only two (three?) iPhone models available)?

Also, since MMF2 runs on Windows, it shouldn't be that much harder for it to work with WinMobile. There aren't any restrictions to file usage/gps/internet at all, and extensions should be a breeze to convert!

And on top of it all, the WinMo SDK is free. iPhone isn't.

Edit: Oh, and windows mobile still lacks good games. We could fill that role way too easily, as the demand is there.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Windows Mobile runtime

With your thinking you should be making Blackberry apps RIGHT NOW. Their app store is still only a few months old, and the Blackberry is the dominate platform in the smart phone market.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pkeod
    With your thinking you should be making Blackberry apps RIGHT NOW. Their app store is still only a few months old, and the Blackberry is the dominate platform in the smart phone market.
    Not many people with a blackberry here in Brazil, but I **AM** making apps for it... just recently started up a software house, and one of my clients love how I set up a small java app on her berry to notify her of her employees arriving/leaving.

The java thing was basically the reason I decided to go for MMF2 Dev.

Still, native WinMo .EXEs are better than java programs.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Windows Mobile runtime would definitely be very interesting (and especially if it's 'easy' to implement for CT and extension converters) and the WM Marketplace has got potential, but you cannot measure attractiveness of a platform by the number of devices it supports. Rather you should be looking at install base which is enormous for iPhone and iPod touch (over 50M?) and % of embedded store clients in the devices.

But I agree - I would love to see also Windows Mobile runtime in the future. Just think that iPhone and Android are currently higher priority.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hm, I believe the demand for MMF games and applications would find a bigger market with Android and WinMobile. The iPhone already has an extensive library of apps (that can be cracked all the same), even including things like this abomination:

Code:
    "The Cry Translator® is an easy to use app that allows parents and caregivers to 
    understand their baby’s first language – their cry. 
    The Cry Translator can ease the anxiety of caring for a crying infant by helping 
    parents and caregivers to quickly understand their child’s cry and immediately respond to the 
    infant’s needs.

The Cry Translator quickly identifies the five distinct cries made by infants; 
    hungry, sleepy, annoyed, stressed or bored. 
    These five cries are universal to all babies regardless of culture or language.

To begin the translation, place the device (iPhone or iPod Touch with microphone) near the crying baby and
    touch the “Start” button. 
    The translated response will be illuminated in less than 10 seconds with suggested tips to calm 
    the infant available. 
    The application also allows users to add emergency contacts from their address book for fast 
    and easy access.

If the device is too far from the baby or there is significant background noise, 
    an error message will appear asking you to begin the translation again."
    And from what I've heard, Apple is very restrictive towards what developers can do... that is a non-issue for win/droid users.

Also, android is a new system, and needs lots of applications. Windows mysteriously lacks good games on par with the iPhone ones.

I'm telling you, a Win runtime makes more sense than an iPhone runtime, especially since it could be churned out a whole lot faster, and no costs with buying SDKs and licensing.

But I'm willing to agree that an Android build has a high priority too... droid is pretty new, and lacking competition.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, well that's true, the App Store is quite a saturated market already. Most paid apps won't even make $100 during their lifetime simply due to lack of visibility and totally ridiculous price competition - and it's likely to get worse all the time. On the other hand, if you manage to get this visibility for your app in the App Store, the potential is much higher than for Android/WM where the user base and overall download numbers are only a fraction of App Stores volumes still for a long long time.

Also one thing to consider is the variety of devices and technical specifications which is really fragmented especially for Windows Mobile. In terms of screen resolutions, you should make probably something like 15 versions of your app if you want to publish it to all users of Windows Marketplace for Mobile, whereas one single version is enough to tackle the whole user base of App Store. It's very efficient for developer's point of view.

Maybe Clickteam could comment on whether it really would be easier for them to implement a Windows Mobile runtime and convert extensions than what it is for iPhone, Android, etc?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yea just one thing from developer, ok winmob is free it would be nice to see it free in MMF but you forget one thing... It costs time and effort for Francois to do it and what they will get from it few more sold devs and thousands of pirated copies... So IMHO it should payable, not so much but still should, so CT would have anything from it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And iPhone apps are harder to crack because...?

Also, what's the point of clickteam paying more for the iPhone SDK since we, developers, will hardly make any money out of it?

About we having to pay for a winmobile runtime... sure, why not?

My point is, the WM runtime should be completed first.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I don't think it will be too hard to make an windows mobile runtime exporter for the products. We had one years ago for a discontinued product called Jamagic.

Sorry it won't get pushed ahead of others in the schedule for review of viability and work on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just knowing it isn't hard to do is already good news for me!
    Hopefully I can see it done after the current planned runtimes?

with the apple guys, droid guys and winmobile guys at A Developers would give a huge boost to the MMF community...

And I believe most extensions could be converted really fast too once it's done, so it's another huge plus.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast