User Tag List

Thread: Tracking and DISPLAYING attributes

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tracking and DISPLAYING attributes

Hi All. Nice to be a part of your forum.
    I have been dabbling in programming for the last few years now and I am really impressed about how simple MMF2 is. However, I am having an issue regarding how to get the program to track AND display the attributes (like HP and MP) of my characters. I have created Global Strings and Values for each type of attribute available. And I have no problem setting this number to an exact amount. However, on one page, I want it to display the applicable creatures (sort of like those on TEKKEN)and when the player clicks on one, I want it to display their attributes in a box to the side of their image. I tried using counters and strings. I just don't think I'm doing this correctly. I keep seeing this option called "retrieve data from object" and I have a feeling that could come into play as well. However, I know that Alterable Values are different from those which are Global. I figured there was some way to make each creature store their own attributes and then load them using Stored Data. However, just storing them doesn't make them appear on the screen. Let me know what you think.

GK

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Tracking and DISPLAYING attributes

If you want to just make them appear on screen i did a very simple HP system with display here -

http://www.clickteam.com/epicenter/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=161627

You can customize the look of that with the object i used as thats what i had in mind people might want to do but in the example i use the default style. For more advanced stuff you would save the data to a ini file etc or them as global values to get them at any time. It's a fairly simple system but shows the basics people would need for HP etc and displaying values so it might be of use.

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Atom, you forgot to say:

Welcome to the forums, Gullyking!

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks to both of you for the help and welcome, respectively.

I guess I just didn't know the proper way of doing it. I imagine there are several ways. It's just that using counters seems to create a lot of event items for each character. And that's pretty bad when you have over 150 characters to add. But, as long as I can get it to work, that's all that matters. I don't mind the work.

Thanks again.

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't have to create a separate counter for each character - to use the way that you outlined in the original post, you could set up each character with their HP on alterable value A and their MP on alterable value B (specified through the object properties). Then, add each character object to the same qualifier (in the event-grid tab of the properties) - this acts as a "group" of sorts so that you can refer to many objects at once through the Event Editor. Then you only need two counters, one for HP and one for MP, and to update them when a character is selected:

+ User clicks on Group.[Groupname]
    -> Set HP counter to Alterable Value A("Group.Groupname")
    -> Set MP counter to Alterable Value B("Group.Groupname")

Whenever you find yourself about to add a ton of repetitive events, there's often an easier way to do it!

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome

Yeah you don't need them all to be counters. I only did that in my example to make it easy for people to follow rather than just having the buttons and the main health display.

If you were making a actual game system you would just do something similar but use alterables/globals/ini etc data instead then you only display what is needed. In a actual game i would not use buttons either but just change things after attacks and edit max health on level ups etc.

My example is RPG based and very simple but you can use it for all sorts of games though that use health points etc. If you have 150 characters that would be a lot of info to store if you need them seperate but most decent RPGs need to store lots of data anyway with monster health etc also so the best thing is to just do a lot of it out of view and only display what you need at the time.