User Tag List

Thread: So the platform movement system is buggy?

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So the platform movement system is buggy?

Sorry for the negative title, and the book post, but I'm trying to write a platform game and becoming increasingly frustrated by the collision detection issues with the Platform movement system.

I've been searching the forums and one thread mentions that the platform movement is only included for backwards compatibility, that it's buggy and shouldn't be used and that one should instead create our own platform movement system.

Is this correct? Isn't this against the very idea of what Game Factory is about?

http://www.clickteam.com/epicenter/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=44443#Post44443

The same thread also points to the tutorials and says there's a good example of a platform engine in there.

Unfortunately, I can't see any GF2 specific examples for a platform engine. There are plenty of MF2 tutorials however.

If there are issues with the platform movement system, I would have thought that it would make sense to fix them, Or offer a new platform2 movement system if compatibility is a problem.

Here are the problems I'm having.

1. Walk Animations occasionally continue even though the player is no longer walking.

2. Collision detection whilst falling or jumping - whilst fine detection is enabled and animation changes. New animation causes collision where previous animation didn't causing the player gets stuck in walls or other obstacles.

Box collision would be ideal if I could alter the size of the collision rectangle independently from the sprite image,

3. Player freezes briefly if multiple platforms overlap and the player tries to walk past a platform.

4. Climbing animation still plays when the player is at the top of a ladder or when the player is no longer moving up or down.

These issues are getting in the way of the game development and are costing me time. I expected a learning curve, but I didn't expect to have to compensate for glitches.

The reason I purchased GF2 in the first place was that I didn't have the time to write another engine. My last game+engine (written in Object Pascal with SDL) took over 6 months to build (see www.crashblock.com for an example), so I do know the little pitfalls in building a decent collision detection resolution and platform movement system.. trust me

Also, my previous engine isn't as cross platform as I'd like and can't take advantage of Java. Another reason why I chose GF2.

Apologies if it appears that I'm having a Rant, I'm not really. I just want to find the best way to create a decent platform game, using an existing game system without spending lots of time wallpapering over the cracks so I can concentrate on the Game itself.

GF2 and MF2 appear to have a good community, so I put it to you. What is the best way to proceed?

As my project is too big to attach, Here's a link.
    http://www.songbird-creations.com/JennyGame.mfa

Most of the problems can be experienced inside the castle.
    Controls are [Left][Right] to Run. [Space] to Jump and [CTRL] to kick (although you can't hurt the animals) The key to the castle is under the rock. [UP] to open the door.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: So the platform movement system is buggy?

Sorry no help here! But your right to many companys move on
    and add extras but don't fix a clear problem. As much as I
    like the program and interface the templetes need fix and
    upgrade to the basics. I haven't got any answeres here in a
    while "but been buying the early product since klik-n-play"
    marketed by maxis. Not really complaining but most engine
    problems seems to be upgrades that messup the code already
    writen "unknowingly" to much tie into others when programing.
    You can fix it yourself in the events editor. But engine
    templetes should also say version number and TGF2 or MMF2.
    The seperation of the templetes and upgrade to factory are
    maybe needed but the next upgrade starts all over. Clickteam
    is very good but there is to much to catch it all. I say
    do what I did and miss upgrading until the finished level
    upgrade is released "everything works fine for me in 247
    and 248 but the betas are not bug free". Thank you and I
    am not complaining we just need the basics working right.

Forum Moderator

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that you can use the mfa file in TGF2, as it is in the same format. Of course if there are extensions used, that could be a problem for using the mfa file in TGF2. Have you tried downloading any of the MMF2 examples and see if they work?

Also TGF2 CD2 has more examples. Have you tried these examples?

Marv
    ​458 TGF to CTF 2.5+ Examples and games
    http://www.castles-of-britain.com/mmf2examples.htm

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is something that I've thought about before as well, that it's sort of unusual that it's become taken for granted among the more experienced game makers that you avoid the default movements entirely and write your own - especially because providing those sorts of movements in a form that can instantly be used is part of what visual game makers like TGF are about. Many features suited for beginners have been added over time (like the instant frame save and load) but the infamous platform movement has remained... a separate extension called the Platform Movement Object is available in MMF2, which is an improved middle ground.

I think it could be to do with the way that complexity increases with flexibility - the default platform movement does its job as something that you can throw in and instantly have working, but when you try to customize it it quickly becomes more trouble than it's worth. I should point out that you can achieve your thought of separating the collision box and animations by using a separate object, an invisible box "collider", giving that the platform movement and always placing the visible sprite at (0, 0) from its position. Or you could ensure that the size of each frame of the player object remains constant - this also has the advantage that it keeps the platform movement's use of your object's animations.

For what it's worth, my platform tutorial (from the Tutorials link, on the right, "Custom Platform Movement") should open and work in TGF2 and its events should pretty much be able to be dropped in and forgotten about, if you don't want to deal with them... no ladders, though it's certainly possible to extend it to handle them as well.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The tutorial I tried was the Chaos Advanced Platformer. It loaded but then complained that it was missing an extension : Platform Movement Object (Platform.mfx)

DavidN, I'll take a look at your tutorial and see if I can make some progress. I did consider the idea of attaching another object to the player object to handle the collision, but it seemed that I'd have to manually wire up the animations for the player sprite.

Marv, I did try the examples on the CD2, the one with Lobo the blob seemed particularly nice. But there was a LOT of events in each level to control him.. and Lobo also uses the Platform Movement. I didn't understand at the time why so many events were required to control a simple platform sprite who basically behaves in the way I'd expect any platform game sprite to behave.(Although now I've played it again, the floating mechanic is quite nice and I can see how that wouldn't be part of the default platform movement )

But here's a sticking point for me...

If I have to copy the events across all of my Frames, then the game is gonna get complicated really fast. Unless these events are actually Global events (is that possible?).. especially considering that I want each level to have multiple houses and castles for the player to enter, each have to be their own Frame, which means lots of logic copied over. So either I have to get the control system "Spot On" on the 1st frame before expanding my game or there's lots of remedial work to be done on each frame afterwards and there's always the chance that something gets missed.

Which is why having a movement system which just works nicely in the majority of cases is so important. The events in each frame should really only be things unique to that level IMO, Music, dangers, bad guys, keys.. etc. It shouldn't be Press Right to make Guy go right. Code to control a common entity (i.e. the player sprite) should be separate from the level and behave in the same way on every level. Can be tested and trusted for every level, bugs fixed once.

I am keen to solve these issues and get this game made. But time is a commodity I don't have a lot of so I'd prefer not to have too many false starts and get it right first time. :-)

I also understand that I am new to this program and I have much to learn and I appreciate any help, advice or wisdom I receive.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

additional: DavidN, that platform tutorial is really cool :-)

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You've touched on something that's often a problem for making large games in TGF/MMF, the connection of events to frames and the need to copy them around or get them right the first time if there are a lot of events that need to apply to each frame. On my current project I try to keep things organized into logical groups so that if I change something vital to the engine it isn't a massive task to pick through and copy them around.

There is a global event editor, though - you can get to it from the application properties (click on your application's icon in the workspace toolbar and select the event grid tab to get to it). You can put events that should be applied to the whole game in here, and they'll be included in the event list if all the objects that they mention actually exist in the frame (there's also an "Include global events" checkbox for the properties of each frame).

One... small point about it is that the global event editor doesn't support object qualifiers, so using the example of my platform movement, you would need to replace the "0" group that I used for active platforms with separate events for each object in that group.